Friday, August 17, 2007

Saving Yourself - Saving the World - Planting Seeds


I've been reading The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers.

Campbell puts forth, among other things, that one of the values of myths is their ability to illuminate truth and help us understand ourselves and our place in the world. They are not about the search for meaning, but about the experience of meaning.

For Campbell, changing the world requires changing ourselves. He imparts that we must save ourselves first.

"The influence of a vital person vitalizes...the world without spirit is a wasteland. People have a notion of saving the world by shifting things around, changing the rules and so forth...The thing to do is to bring life to it...to become alive yourself."

For Campbell, by bringing life to ourselves and "following our bliss," we bring life to the world.
As I conquer new challenges, I reaffirm the necessity and power of change.

When I realize that I need to sleep differently, eat differently, drink differently, schedule things differently, exercise differently, think differently, interact with the world differently, I confirm the power of positive change to lead me along the Good Long Road. Changing myself is absolutely necessary if I am to bring vitality and energy to the world -- and if I am to save myself.

Plant some seeds of your own. Follow your bliss. Now is the time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment