Monday, June 30, 2008

When I Grow Up


"Miss Jen, when I grow up, I will name my daughter Jennifer."

A simple sentence can sometimes be enough to get one through a very challenging week (or two).

During the final week of a long school year, one of the 11 year-old students in the after-school filmmaking program I run and teach uttered that wonderful, simple sentence.

It was not the sentence in itself that held such important meaning, but also the student who spoke it. This student had driven me crazy at the beginning of the year. He could not sit still. He could not listen. He constantly tested the limits. 

Yet, through care and patience on the part of myself and my co-teacher Jim and through the power of theatre and film, this student changed.

Editing film requires a lot of patience, difficult for any 11 year-old. Yet, this student, who at the beginning of the year could not sit still for even a couple of minutes, fell in love with film. So much so, that while other students are outside on the playground, he prefers for the two of us to go inside and work on the film -- editing and selecting music. 

As I reflected on a hectic school year, I think of this particular student and of so many other students who changed as they participated in the program,  I realize that all of the challenges and moments of insanity have been worth it. 

"When I grow up, I will name my daughter Jennifer."

I reply, "When you are old enough to have a child, you won't even remember me."

"Yes, I will Miss Jen. Yes, I will," is his simple response.

He will and so will I. I will always remember him and the rest of these students. 

In lieu of regular blog updates, I'm excited to share some student projects with you - it is the best way I can think of to update you on my life.  Below are some links to YouTube projects made by students of Script 2 Screen.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment