Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Still Running - Rethinking Peace and Remembering that Peace if Every Step

Sometimes it's easy to get all tangled up and strangled by the details, by false parameters, by unnecessary assumptions.

When my "Run for Peace" was complete, the blog began to stagnate. Sporadic blogs cropped up here and there, but they became more separated and less full of heart.

"How can I write when I am no longer engaged in working for peace?" I thought.

I had forgotten what it actually meant to be "running for peace." I now realize so clearly that I am still learning a great deal about peace. I am a blessed parent of two little boys (one who is just over 2 years, the other who is just over 6 months) -- talk about daily opportunities to foster peace (and practice patience - a close cousin of peace).

Diminishing my own ability to be able to write about the good long road because my journey down it had changed was erroneous -- and directly counter to my own belief about peace. Being a peacemaker is not limited to the men or women in power who are sitting at an important diplomatic meeting (working for a non-profit directly involved in bringing groups in conflict together). Each of us has the ability everyday to be a peacemaker -- to foster love and goodness in the world or to foster the opposite.

As Thich Nhat Hanh writes (In Peace is Every Step):

"We have the capacity to live in a way that these twenty-four hours will bring peace, joy, and happiness to ourselves and others.
Peace is present right here and now, in ourselves and in everything we do and see. The question is whether or not we are in touch with it. We don’t have to travel far away to enjoy the blue sky. We don’t have to leave our city or even our neighborhood to enjoy the eyes of a beautiful child.
We are very good at preparing to live, but not very good at living. We know how to sacrifice ten years for a diploma, and we are willing to work very hard to get a job, a car, a house, and so on. But we have difficulty remembering that we are alive in the present moment, the only moment there is for us to be alive. We need only to be awake, alive in the present moment.”
As I parent, I need this reminder for myself and for my family. I hope to raise two caring, aware and loving boys who are present to the world they live in. They are actually my daily reminder. No one is more alive to the present moment than an active two year-old playing with his beloved "choo-choos." May we all feel that present, that awake and that alive to our worlds.
I am glad to be back and still saying "I run for peace!!" Now, I'm just running after a two year-old rather than running the trails.
(Special thanks to letslassothemoon.com, the blog reminded me of TNH's words, which thus led me back to the blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment