Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mayo-less Egg Salad

I never liked egg salad because I HATE mayo but I do like hard-boiled eggs. 

The 3 main ingredients.

The solution: mayo-less egg salad. I love it -- and since many of you might have a lot of hard-boiled eggs on hand, I thought I would share.

Ingredients
  • 3 boiled eggs (I like mine medium boiled, which means I boil them for about 5 minutes, take them out and give them a ice water bath.)
  • 1/2-1 avocado (diced)
  • 1/8 cup shelled and cooked edamame, roughly chopped (I love the crunch the edamame adds).
  • 1 squirt of spicy mustard (or whichever mustard you choose)
  • 1 dollop sour cream
  • 1/4 red onion or shallot (diced, optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation

1. Boil eggs When eggs are cool, dice them.
2. Cook edamame
3. Chop edamame, onion, and avocado
4. Mix together the egg and other chopped ingredients.


5. Add sour cream (I typically use 2-3 spoonfuls) and add 1 squirt mustard (I like to use spicy brown - go easy on it. I find if you add too much mustard it can overpower the other flavors).


I like to eat it on my favorite bread with spinach or romaine lettuce. This makes me about 2-3 sandwiches, open-faced on toast is my preference. I like to just keep it in the fridge for a quick, easy and healthy meal. 

If you are making it for a family or to entertain, I'd probably do 8-9 eggs.

*You can substitute plain yogurt for the sour cream to make it healthier. It will have a slightly more tangy taste. 

*You can also just use the egg whites. I used to do make mine like that all of the time when Sky was "little" because we gave him hardboiled egg yolks for protein.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this looks really yummy! Thanks for linking up to Viva Veg! A new linky is open until Wednesday midnight

    ReplyDelete