Monday, April 16, 2012

Meditation Monday - Back on Track

I took last week off from my Meditation Monday series, a 20 week series I started on March 12, because we participated in Tinkerlab's Egg Carton Challenge. It was fun to be creative with egg cartons with my toddler, and we ended up with great egg carton puppets.

However, I'm also glad to be getting back on track as I tackle Marc and Angel's 20 Things to Stop Doing to Others.

Since I am currently focusing on doing blogs dedicated to the idea of Making Something Out Of Nothing as we lead up to Earth Day, I've decided to tackle #18: Stop Making Mountains Out of Molehills.

When it comes to crafts, pretend play and even dinner, Making Something Out Of Nothing is often the goal. But, with our problems, Making Something Out Of Nothing only makes things worse. I know I have gotten frustrated or angry only to feel terribly embarrassed later that I got so upset over such a small thing. 

Marc and Angel's words are wise - "People make mistakes.  Crap happens.  There’s no reason to stress out yourself and everyone around you because of it.  One way to check if something is worth mulling over is to ask yourself this question: “Will this matter in one year’s time?”  If not, then it’s not worth worrying about."

In essence, not making mountains out of molehills is a central aspect to living mindfully. When I have gotten off the path, when I forget to be mindful, to take a few quiet moments in the morning or at the end of the day to slow down and focus only on my breath -- then I make the molehills into mountains.

I've been connecting each week of my meditation series with a chapter from Thich Nhat Hanh's amazing book, True Love. This week it is chapter 15: Everyone Should Practice Mindfulness. He stresses that with mindfulness comes "relief, peace, well-being, joy and better relations with others." The world needs calmness, compassion and understanding -- all possible through mindfulness. The world needs us to let molehills be molehills and to not bother spending a second worrying about them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment