Saturday, May 12, 2012

Books as Heirlooms & 100+ Children's Book-Related Activities

All week, I've been sharing children's book related posts because it's Children's Book Week. I shared a pea and dinosaur activity to go with our favorite pea and dinosaur books earlier, and had to write twice about Maurice Sendak and our family favorite Where the Wild Things Are

I want to also share the idea that Children's Books can be wonderful family heirlooms. Thanks to caring (and sentimental) parents and grandparents, we have some gems that I read to my toddler. They stay in a closed container because of their delicate nature, but he loves it when we explore these special books. He calls the container the library, probably due to this fun activity we did a couple of months ago. Here's some of the amazing treasures in our special box:

Peeking Through From Behind is Margaret Wise Brown's A Child's Good Night Book. She is best known for Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny, among others. I didn't get a good photo of that book, but the pub date is 1943.

One of my toddler's favorites. Copyright date inside: 1930.

I remember this book from my childhood as well.

Inside The Littlest Angel - my dad's name, in his own handwriting, and a note from one of his grandmothers.

Copyright 1948, 6th printing, note inside from my grandmother. I don't think this book is in print anymore.

Even if you don't already have books that have been handed down from generation to generation, you can start. Plan to set aside a few special books, perhaps books that were gifts with inscriptions/notes inside or first books or favorites -- you could even create your own special container for a "library at home" or encourage your little one to write a note to a child that will enjoy the book in future years (in the inside cover). Trust me, it's worth it. I love knowing that I am reading to Sky the exact same book my grandmother read to my father. 

Celebrate books and make memories -- here's 100+ ideas/activities to inspire you!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment