Thursday, May 10, 2012

Kids Co-Op & Life Lessons from Maurice Sendak

Great mask making activity from Red Ted Art
If you saw yesterday's post, you already know the prominence of Where the Wild Things Are in our house. I have the book memorized (have for sometime) and often recite it for our toddler. We have 2 copies of the book and 2 Where the Wild Things puzzles. 

Those carefully selected words convey so much meaning, especially with such rich images. Here's what I've learned from this wonderful book:

  • Don't fear your anger. Learn to manage it, but don't fear it. You must understand your anger so that it does not own you and control you.
  • Make sure you have people in your life you can always come home to -- people that will have your supper waiting for you.
  • Be that person to someone else (especially if you are a parent). The value of unconditional love cannot be weighed. It truly does transform loves and nurture a child in a way that nothing else can.
  • Speaking of love, love big! My toddler loves it when we say "I'll eat you up I love you so." He knows it means our love for him abounds. 
  • Don't be afraid to cut loose -- to let the wild rumpus start, so to speak. Life should be enjoyed. 
  • Make sure you have a private boat -- a special place just for you. This is the place that helps you find your center, calm your mind and gear up for life's next adventure or opportunity. 
  • And finally -- Nurture imagination, dreams, journeys and experiences. We should all go sailing for weeks (even years) at a time. My sailboat, throughout my life, has been my piano and now it is my filmmaking. What's yours? 


  1. Thanks for sharing your perspective on the book! I love finding books that teach our children how to be better individuals throughout life! :)

  2. What a great view of the book! Thanks for sharing!

  3. i love the messages you have taken from this book. I have never really liked it as a children's book because i always felt poor max was lonely and it was all a bit sad, but your take has made me reconsider. I think I need to go and read it again.

  4. Like Monko says I also always felt Max ıs very lonely but I will read the book again.Thanks for linking up to Book Sharing Monday.