Monday, May 7, 2012

P is for... ...Peas!!

I'm a member of a farmshare, Abundant Harvest Organics, and get really great organic, seasonal produce. A recent box with both English and Sugar Snap Peas and fond memories of snapping green beans with my mom inspired this Vegetable and Letter Learning Activity. 

This activity helps in developing fine motor skills, language skills, early reading and motivates healthy eating! 
The Peas:
The Set-Up:
The book is Eating the Alphabet from A-Z by Lois Ehlert

 Having Fun:


Big Peas for the Big "P"

Little peas for little "p"

Almost Done:


 Then we made this yummy Edamame and Pea Bruschetta Spread


Which also transformed into a healthy guac for taco night, when I mixed about 1/2 cup of it with a mashed up avocado, some cayenne pepper and lime juice.  

For other great Letter P and Pea book activities, head over to Preschool Alphabet.


You might also like:
Mayo-less simple egg salad
Ten Activities Using Sticks


16 comments:

  1. Those peas look so fresh and yummy! And your pea spread looks so green and great! I've never thought to turn ours into spread, will have to keep that in mind :-)

    Thanks for sharing on Happy Family Times

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea...i wish my peas were looking as good as yours! I love shelling peas...i bet kids do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely post, i love peas, and what a great way to integrate letters and nature

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Great activity and healthy eating too! Glad you shared this with us at tip toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to learn about P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo! I LOVE peas! Those look SO yummy.

    I loved the way you incorporated the activities for the kids! Thanks so much for sharing this on the Weekly Kids Co-Op Linky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! I love peas. Thanks so much for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  8. peas are one of my favourite veggies.Lovely post!Thanks for linking up to Book Sharing Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love peas!!! And your dinner sounds divine.

    Love the pea pods for big "P" and peas for little "p"!

    thanks for sharing with Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I cannot wait to do this with my son as soon as he is old enough! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ideas - what fun ways to learn about the letter P! And I think you just made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Your peas look delicious. I love all the activities too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun activity! I have so many great memories of shelling peas and will have to introduce my daughter to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great activities! I shared your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Gardening/Botany Unit Study Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/gardening-botany-unit-study/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! The snack looks awesome. JDaniel isn't big on peas. Maybe I need to have him explore with them. I will be sharing this post on Facebook and Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great activity. I remember doing this as a kid in my Grandad's vegie patch!

    ReplyDelete