Monday, May 21, 2012

Simple Sunday: Veggie Broth

Veggie scraps become vegetable broth. No worries about sodium, pesticides or other undesirable additives.

I'm a member of a farm-share and get a beautiful crate of organic produce for about $20. I make my own vegetable broth using the scraps and peels from the produce. I have large freezer storage bag that I put scraps or peels in when I have them. When it's full, it's time to make broth.

For no additional cost or real much effort at all, I get organic vegetable broth. Bonus: friendly for the Earth (no extra packaging required). It's simple. Empty the frozen scraps into a large pot.


If you want (you don't have to), add some fresh veggies to the pot as well. (I usually add carrots and onion because I seem to always have extra). 

Fill the pot with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 25-45 minutes (until the color and taste tell you it is done). Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove the vegetables with tongs and/or a spider (the utensil you see below) .



Pour the remaining broth into a spouted container, then strain it into your storage container (I usually use glass jars). This time I poured the broth through the tea strainer and straight into my crockpot for a bean soup recipe. 

See -- super simple and a great budget-friendly cooking tip. I have low-sodium, organic vegetable broth at no additional cost!

3 comments:

  1. I love being part of a farming co-op. It costs me $37 in Oz, but it is worth it. How good does straight from the farm taste! I love making my own vegetable stock using the Thermomixer. It comes out as a paste that I can then add water to. It can last for over 6 months, but it is so delicious it never does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great frugal tip! I often mean to save my veggie scraps for broth but I forget and throw them in the compost. I need to remember to save them!

    Visiting from Eco Kids Tuesday :)
    Tammy
    ourneckofthewoods.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip! Too bad I feed all my scraps to the chickens! Maybe they need to start sharing! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids! I hope you will come link up with us again this week!! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/02/an-enchanted-childhood-playschool.html

    ReplyDelete