Tuesday, May 8, 2012

We Love Composting & Dinosaurs!!

How did this beautiful and simple breakfast (grilled asparagus in my George Foreman grill drizzled with just a little melted butter and topped with an egg over easy) turn into a dinosaur dig/art activity that occupied my toddler for basically an entire afternoon?

Well, it started with an empty container with coffee grounds and the asparagus bottoms, which were waiting to be composted. 

As I looked at the array of items, it occurred to me that the asparagus bottoms looked an awful lot like dinosaur legs. So, I added some French tarragon and a few other items to the mix and out the backdoor we went to have our special dinosaur adventure.  


I set out the key materials

He started by scooping the "dirt."

But, once we got going the creativity blossomed-can you make out our 3 dinos?!

He really loved making the trees too.

But adding more and more "dirt" was his favorite activity.

I believe we truly created a masterpiece!
Plus, we added some bonus letter learning activities to the action. This is just an empty tofu container with some coffee grounds and the asparagus bottoms that we kept rearranging to create different letters. 


Of course, I can't wrap up a dinosaur blog entry without mentioning our two favorite dinosaur books, which we keep re-checking from the library:

Very cute and fun book!

Fun and informative!

8 comments:

  1. I love it! Simple and fun!

    Thanks so much for sharing this post on the Kids Co-Op weekly linky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would spend hours doing things like this as a child, oh what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such an interesting post. don't believe i've ever done anything like that! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever and creative. A brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing on family frolics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea and I have no pinned it to 3 separate boards when looking for different ideas.

    Thank you for linking to Tuesday Tots

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Can't wait to do something similar with my girls (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful repurposed activity, I also like the learning twist (not that there was not learning before the letters).

    ReplyDelete