Wednesday, July 25, 2012

3 Ingredient, No-Bake Cookies!

Summers in the valley areas of Southern California where we live can get rather hot, and our kitchen (in particular) can become a sauna, so turning on the oven to bake cookies -- no thank you! However, Wild Thing and I love to make cookies, so I came up with this easy, relatively healthy recipe for no-bake cookies using: 
  •  1-1 1/4 cup of rolled oats
  • 1/3-1/2 cup of peanut butter
  • Just under 1/3 cup of maple syrup (I suggest real maple syrup) 
These cookies happen to also be gluten-free, vegan and free of refined sugar. I want to try a batch using honey instead of maple syrup and think agave nectar would probably also work. 

Dump the ingredients in a bowl and mix them well (incorporating all of the oats) - at this stage it's easy to tell if you need more oats or not.

Next, clump the ingredients together by hand to make cookie balls (that's how we like to do it, anyway). I sprayed my hands with cooking spray to make it easier and Wild Thing took this picture (he's 2.5). It came out tinted red, so I made it B&W. He enjoyed the cookie process too (not just taking photos). He liked dumping and mixing the ingredients.

Then, put the cookie balls in a mini muffin tin that sprayed with cooking spray (you could also put them on a regular cookie sheet with parchment paper) and let them set in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. These have become a quick favorite in our house. 

P.S. They have lots of iron (I used a peanut butter with flax seeds) because of the oats and peanut butter. You could add raisins/nuts, etc. or press them down and create no-bake granola bars.  

You might also like:

Homemade Pop-Tarts
Real & Pretend Cookie-Making


  1. What a great idea I am pinning it! Thank you for the inspiration sounds so easy wonderful for me as I am rubbish at baking.

  2. I love how simple these are and with those ingredients they would taste so great!! I'd love you to share them on my baking with kids linky :-)

  3. How would toasted wheat germ work in these?

  4. I love that these have real maple syrup!