Sunday, July 1, 2012

4th of July Pop Tarts (from Scratch)!

For the 4th of July, we decided to make smitten kitchen's homemade pop tarts. We filled them with strawberry jam and blueberries. We also topped them with powdered sugar and red and blue sprinkles -- just to be patriotic!

I bake a lot with Wild Thing, but I think this has been our most fun cooking together activity yet:

First, there's pulsing the dough in the food processor -- he giggled every time it whirred around.

Then, there's filling the pastries (spreading messy jam and placing blueberry eyes and nose to create our magical, sparkly Elmo!)

After that, there's putting the tops on and poking the holes in the tops, which delighted Wild Thing to no end.

Finally, there's playing with flour and rolling pin while the pop tarts bake!

I think he made up a rolling pin song!
What's not to love?

Hint: You could always use pre-made pie crust. Also, smitten kitchen has other great filling ideas/suggestions, such as cinnamon brown sugar or nutella! She also has tips for the dough trimmings, so they don't go to waste.

You might also like:

Planes, Trains & Autos: Busy Bags!
Friday Night Pizza
Celebrating Imagination


  1. Hi! I love this! Your son looks so happy helping out with the dough. My Son just discovered pop tarts recently. I bet he would love to make his own! I am going to share this link tomorrow on my FB page! Thank you!

  2. Loved that look of overwhelming joy on Wild Thing's's into the moment!! How divine!!!!!! Yo Mamas

  3. Yum! And so much fun to make :)

  4. When the weather cools a little I plan to try these! Yum!

  5. Yum! I'm pinning and trying these with my boys soon. They have never had a pop tart before, so they will be delighted! I'm featuring this on The Sunday Showcase tomorrow. Thanks for linking up!

  6. Oh Wild Thing is adorable ~ love the photos of him covered in flour singing away! And giggling at the mixer!! Happy days ~ and thanks for sharing at Happy Family Times x

  7. Home made poptarts. Oh my goodness I am going to have to hide this post from Hublet or he would be on it immediately. He loves poptarts. Thanks so much for sharing on Kids Co-op

  8. Oh, how delicious and fun!! Thank you for sharing at Happy Family Times!

  9. I love the pictures of your son covered in flour and having an amazing time. I hope you will stop by the first ever Artsy Play Wednesday on Capri + 3 tomorrow and add a link to this post. It is a new weekly linky for posts about arts, crafts and play activities. I hope to see you there.

    : 0 ) Theresa

  10. YUM! Aidan has just discovered pop tarts, I had not bought any for years, he would love to make them!

  11. Yay! This post is making it ahrd to wait until my oven works again (no job = no money = gas being shut off)! I can't wait to make these! I think they will be perfect for my kids to have for breakfast when school starts!

  12. Phyllis was over yesterday and she left this story on my computer to make sure I read it!
    What a darling little boy you have, Jenni.
    And, i am so proud of you as a mom - not surprised, simply proud.
    You're doing it right and because of that you're going to continue to enjoy good times with your son though the activities will change.

    Congratulation, too:) xoxo, Jan Thomason