Friday, July 27, 2012

Bees Sensory Bin & Honey Painting


Wild Thing likes bees - it initially came from his love for Winnie the Pooh who always gets chased by bees as he tries to get honey. We have several Pooh books that we read (many with plots related to bees and honey). 

Then, he saw a Thomas the Train video where Thomas looses the bees they need to make honey and has to lure them back with flowers. I discovered that this concept stayed with him when we did our Earth Day Scent-sory bin back in April. 

With all of his interest in bees, I decided to make him a Bees Sensory Bin and to get some bee books from the library: UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings and What If There Were No Bees? by Suzanne Slade were his favorites.


The Bees Sensory Bin truly has elements for all of the five senses:
  1. Smell - Lavender 
  2. Taste - Honey Sticks (He loved tasting the honey).
  3. Touch - Dried Black Beans (that feel slick), Yellow Pom Poms (that feel soft), Black Pipe Cleaners (with their unique feel) and the Lavender and Corn Meal were also interesting for Wild Thing to touch.
  4. Sight - All of the colors and the vibrant flowers (cut out from a postcard we received that had several different flowers on it).
  5. Sound - Wild Thing made buzzing bee sounds as he explored the sensory bin. 
I also put some yellow pony beads in the bin and made one sample bee from the black pipe cleaner and yellow beads. Initially, Wild Thing gave up very quickly on making on himself. But, on another day, he spied the sensory bin on the kitchen counter, took his chair over and made a bee for himself (a great activity for developing fine motor skills).


Our Bee Sensory Bin also led us to create some interesting art using the honey sticks - we used them to paint and glue. I loved how the cornmeal looked like pollen, especially on the pink flower.


We painted the heart together because Pooh loves honey.


 Of course, he also loved eating the honey again too!


Oh - and so Wild Thing's little brother wouldn't feel left out (and didn't end up putting dried black beans in his mouth), I made a simple, edible Bee Bin for the Baby (that's a lot of B's). The Baby version has raisins and popcorn. 

You might also like:
Sand Play & DIY Sandboxes
Pretend Play: Library at Home
 



20 comments:

  1. I love that you made an edible bee bin for the baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, my kids love honey. They eat it with breakfast every morning. I love this post. What a fun way to learn about bees and honey (and its quality as a viscous material, too!). Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After raising bees and collecting honey, we have a great appreciation for bees and the sweet yumminess they make—just as your son does. What a lot of joy he must have gotten from the bee bin you created for him! ~heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great activities! And honey is so tasty - I love how you guys painted with it too! Thanks for sharing at Happy lil ❤'s are baking x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super fun ideas!! Love the sensory bins and we LOVE honey around here!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors of your bin - the black and yellow is a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you got all the senses involved. What a bee-utiful sensory bin. (sorry couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you made it something they could eat as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great sensory experiences ... and I LOVE the edible bee bin for your baby! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and added your link to my Montessori-inspired insect unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/06/23/montessori-inspired-insect-unit-for-summer-learning-and-fun/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really appreciate what you post. You have a new subscriber now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great sensory bin! I just made my first sensory bin for my 2 1/2 year old. and I made a modified one for my almost 10 month old.... so I love that you had both covered!

    following you from the sunday showcase link up!!!

    http://www.teachthroughplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice sensory experience you created for your children- involving each sense. It sounds like such a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. super cute sensory bin... sorry I don't like bees like the little one, but I sure appreciate all of those great materials! lol... thanks for sharing at tip toe thru tuesday!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute! Thanks for linking up on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back again this week with some more of you great ideas.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is wonderful! I love that you truly did stimulate all five senses. I'm pinning and want to recreate soon. Thank you for linking up to The Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness, what a WONDERFUL sensory bin! Fantastic.

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete