My husband used two by fours and made us a basic sandbox in the backyard. The boys absolutely love it. Sandboxes may not be a possibility for everyone's backyard. Still, sand is a favorite for summertime fun -- bringing a beach element home, so enjoy this round-up of sand activities and DIY sandbox options, including manageable indoor sand play. Go ahead and get a little sandy!
1. Don't be intimidated by the idea of making your own sandbox. Here's 2 options: a wooden one with built-in benches from 2 Big, 2 Little or a brick sandbox from The Golden Gleam. (Tip: if you have access to a truck, get loose sand rather than bags of sand. It costs much less).
2. Make a road using sand, water and rocks -- the perfect activity for little ones who love their trucks!
4. Also consider other fun add-ins to the sandbox or sand table. Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails added dried beans, dried pasta and jelly beans for her little guys.
5. Make it a sensory experience like Glittering Muffins! We all love sticking our feet in the sand at the beach - encouraging that experience at home is a perfect way to explore the sandbox.
6. Create a simple sandbox alternative that can be used indoors or outdoors, like this thrifty sand box from Mama Smiles made from an under the bed storage bin. Creekside Learning added seashells and dollhouse dolls to her storage bin sandbox for fun indoor beach play! (Perfect if the heat wave is keeping you inside). Creekside Learning also uses their indoor sandbox for learning -- with sand castle counting (and smashing)!
|Thrifty sand box from Mama Smiles.|
7. Hands on: as we grow used sand for a 100th day of pre-school sensory art experience!
8. Make your own sand! (In different colors). Momma's Fun World uses basic ingredients (sidewalk chalk, wax paper and salt) to create colored "sand."
9. And, I absolutely LOVE this sand playdough from Famiglia and Seoul. She added coconut oil to imitate the smell of the beach. This also keeps the sand mess to a minimum if you're trying to do some beach play inside.
10. Finally, keep it simple with classic sandbox play: buckets, shovels and trucks!
Sharing at: All Year Round Carnival: Summer
You might also like:
|Coffee Ground Play|
|Outdoor Mural Painting|
|Ten for Tuesday: Sticks!|