Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pizza...for Breakfast! Yum!

Everyone loves breakfast for dinner (especially kids), but what about pizza for breakfast? Since I had some pizza dough leftover from pizza night (we love homemade pizza at this house), I decided to give a breakfast pizza a whirl. 

I ended up making 2 versions: a grown up pizza with a runny egg (because I LOVE runny eggs) and a scrambled egg pizza for Wild Thing. 

I used Smitten Kitchen's breakfast pizza recipe as my inspiration, but for toppings I went with black beans, avocado and tomato (avocado and tomato went on after I took the pizza out of the oven). I haven't yet had success with homemade pizza crust. Instead I always use Von's/Pavillon's or Trader Joe's pre-made pizza dough found in the refrigerated section. It's affordable, and I like that they both have whole wheat pizza dough.


For Wild Thing's pizza, I didn't have any more crust, so I used a whole wheat tortilla. It has the same look and basic taste. He liked helping sprinkle the cheese on the tortilla. Plus, it's SUPER EASY: scramble some eggs, top a tortilla with cheese and put it in the microwave long enough to melt the cheese, then add the eggs on top. This breakfast pizza would even work as a quick breakfast on busy school mornings. (I find it's also a good way to use the leftover scrambled eggs from a previous morning when Wild Thing wasn't very hungry).

Pick a day to mix it up and do pizza for breakfast and breakfast for dinner. The kids will love it. 

Oh - and I have to share one last pizza idea, since it does happen to be Julia Child's 100th birthday -- here's a recipe for her Eggplant Pizzas from Kalyn's Kitchen. Turning eggplant into pizza might even get kids to actually eat eggplant. Heck, it might even get me to eat eggplant.

You might also like:

Delicious, Simple Cookies!


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Breakfast pizza is a great idea. It adds an element of fun to the morning. Thank you for sharing this on Artsy Play Wednesday on Capri + 3.

    : 0 ) Theresa