Sunday, October 14, 2012

October Virtual Book Club for Kids: Move, Draw, Eat, Learn with Duck! Rabbit!

If you have followed our other posts for the Virtual Book Club, you will see that we happened to have a bit of a Duck-Rabbit theme going (The Duckling Gets A Cookie and Little White Rabbit), so I thought this book was the perfect Amy Krouse Rosenthal book for us. Often, with my book posts, I love to share 4 ideas the book inspired us to do: 

1. Physical Activity: Yoga
(of sorts)! Both Wild Thing (almost 3) and Caterpillar (almost 15 mo) love doing yoga with me. Our rabbit pose is a lot like chair pose, but with our hands making rabbit ears instead of up in the air, and our duck post is like child's pose. I already relate yoga poses to them through pretending to be animals, which we got more inspired to do when I checked out Little Yoga: A Toddler's First Yoga Book by Rebecca Whitfeld from the library, so adding these poses was perfect.



2. Draw - AKA Art Activity: Clothespin Duck! Rabbit! This is simple, but fun. We glued cotton balls on a clothespin to make a duck or rabbit, depending on how you look at it, of course. Wild Thing liked attaching the clothespin to a stick and making a Duck/Rabbit puppet. What do you see? A duck, rabbit or something else entirely?

By the way, top left-the mound of cotton balls is a big and strong camel, of course!  
The best thing about this art activity probably was the resulting new play activity - tossing cotton balls in a muffin tin! Brilliant for two reasons: 1. costs basically nothing (already had the muffin tin and I get the big bag of cotton balls at the dollar store) 2. makes very little noise! (Yeah!! - Especially great for evening play when baby is already sleeping or trying to fall asleep). I highly recommend it. Plus, it was a child-led activity. I love following his creativity and discovering a new way to play or create.  



 3. Eat - Duck/Rabbit Bread/Carrot Snack Again, we kept it simple making carrots shaped as rabbits and bread shaped as a duck since that is what each animal eats. I must say all of the rabbit books we have been reading (in addition to Little White Rabbit, we have been reading a lot of Peter Rabbit books by Beatrix Potter) have had a positive effect on Wild Thing in terms of healthy eating. He LOVES eating carrots now, so much so that he does not even need/ask me to peel them. He wants to eat them just like the rabbits do!   




4. Learning Activity - Habitats/Perspective We have been doing a lot of learning activities related to home and habitats lately. These activities were inspired by two books that Wild Thing absolutely loves (I think I have hit the limit on rechecks from the library): Do Ducklings Live In the Desert? by Michael Dahl and I See A Kookaburra! by Steve Jenkins (both were featured in our World Animal Day post). We are even making our own habitat book, which I hope to share on the blog soon, along with a series of posts on our habitat learning experiences. Here is a sneak peek (to the left of our bee page). 

Duck! Rabbit! inspired us to head outside and make our own duck and rabbit habitats for Wild Thing to put his rubber ducky and stuffed animal rabbit in. Here are our habitats. I got 6 duckies like this at Target awhile back for 50 cents! (Psst...this is our second pond. You check out our first, very different, pond-making activity here.)


To see our process of making the habitats, through photos, go to our Facebook page. There are some really great photos there.



Of course, another learning aspect to this book is the important lesson of perspective, which Wild Thing actually teaches me about everyday -- through The Good Long Road of parenting, I have learned that it is not only Wild Thing and Caterpillar that are growing, learning and reading along the way, it is me too! Depending on your perspective, you see a duck or you see a rabbit. A few days before we even started reading the book, Wild Thing demonstrated  the value of considering (and shifting) perspectives when he pointed out some beautiful flowers to me in our yard. 


So, tell me - what do you see? A duck? A rabbit? Weeds or flowers? I encourage you to always try and see the flowers in life -- Wild Thing definitely reminds me to do just that on a daily basis as he continually points out the beauty, amazing-ness and awesomeness of everyday things.  Shared at
The Educators' Spin On It
Proud to be
Featured at Tuesday Tots on Rainy Day Mum
Please hop (like a rabbit) through the Virtual Book Club for Kids Blog Hop to get even more ideas inspired by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.
Also, like our FB page so that you can follow when new posts go up!



VirtualBookClub

14 comments:

  1. Lovely activities. We worked on Duck Rabbit too and the different perspectives things can get. We loved your food idea well done. This is our link http://creativefunmum.blogspot.com/2012/10/october-virtual-book-club-duck-rabbit.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great activities to go along with this book. I love the yoga especially. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love this book, and your activities are fantastic!

    Still working on our blog hop post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great activity ideas!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tot School Tuesday on See Vanessa Craft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this style of learning, so sensible for little ones

    ReplyDelete
  6. some really great activities! such a sweet smile, too! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic ideas! From other Rosenthal Hop posts I had figured that Duck! Rabbit! would be a favorite for us (Max adores ducks), and I'm so happy to have so many activity ideas to go along with it!

    Thanks for linking up with the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas! We just checked out the Little Yoga book, which is what inspired my son to do the "cat" poses. What a great book - and love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jennifer, It's nice to meet you. Thank you for linking into the Kid Lit Blog Hop How does your Virtual Book Club for Kids work - if you don't mind my asking? You have a wonderful website. Your following buttons (Pinterest and G+) were not working, but I am following you via Twitter. Hope you are having a nice weekend! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Activities, I love the clothes pin rabbit and duck - but have to try the yoga with J and T this week. Thank you for linking up to Tuesday Tots this week and just popping by to say that I'm featuring you this week over on Rainy Day Mum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the clothespin Duck Rabbits! Too cute! My boys LOVE that book. We'll have to make these. I think they will be tickled pink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice. I like how you moved beyond just illustrations into the natural world. Thanks for linking up to The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These activities look great :) I'll have to check out Duck! Rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great set of activities. I'm having trouble even knowing which would be my favorite. The carrots and cotton balls are adorable.

    ReplyDelete