Monday, November 19, 2012

{November Virtual Book Club} Coulda Woulda Shoulda!!

VirtualBookClub
Every month since I joined up with the Virtual Book Club for Kids, I have posted pretty much right on time with the linky/blog hop.

Today, though, I will not be sharing the ways that we move, draw, eat and learn with a Tomie dePaola book. Instead, I am sharing what we coulda, woulda and probably shoulda done and why we have not (yet).
We coulda read The Popcorn Book and eaten popcorn (special pop it in the microwave right off of the cob popcorn that we got from our farmshare), moved up and down pretending to be popcorn, made a popcorn craft and learned that some corn on the cob will pop and some will not. That is what we coulda done.
Magic corn on the cob popcorn from Abundant Harvest Organics, their photo.
Or maybe we woulda read The Art Lesson and done a big mural painting that encouraged gross motor skills (moving), another art project inspired by the book, made some edible art using frosting and sugar cookies and learned about different types of art. That is what we woulda done.
Or...we shoulda read The Quilt Story and moved like the caterpillar on one of the quilts that Ga-Ma made us, painted/colored a paper full of quilt squares, prepared a meal that told a story, and learned that quilts are part of our heritage (I have a quilt that belonged to my great-grandmother as well as several quilts my mother has made, all with special stories of their own). That is what we shoulda done.

Wild Thing did take photos of some of our special quilts Ga-ma made.

But, instead we have not read any of these three books (I have no idea if my activities would actually connect to the bookst) even though all three are on hold for us at the bookmobile that comes to our town. My first attempt at getting a Tomie DePaola book at the library resulted in a quick grab of one book (without looking at it) as the library was closing only to get it home and realize it was not the right level for Wild Thing and Caterpillar. 

Then, I put some books on hold and went to the bookmobile to pick them up only to find that it did not come that day (happens from time to time). So, a couple of days later, I went into town to the nearest library hoping they might have some of the books only to discover that the library opened at noon that day, and I have not been able to go back since. 

So, here we are with some coulda shoulda woulda activities for the three books on hold for us whenever we get to the bookmobile again -- maybe this Wednesday?? We will also be delivering one of gratitude postcards to the staff when we go. (Have you thought about making a thank you note/card for your librarian?) 



Hopefully, I will be sharing some activities soon! For now, I am at least sharing the link up/blog hop so you can benefit from what so many other great bloggers are doing.

8 comments:

  1. Haha! All those activities would have been great- but I'm sure whatever you come up with will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you will enjoy the books once you get them!! Sorry it has been so troublesome this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, your "coulda, woulda, shoulda" sure looks like a lot of fun. That quilt is lovely. Hope the books arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post! I often find myself in the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" catagory. :) Sorry you've been having such a tough time getting a hold of the books you've been wanting. I think this post wouldn't have been as fun to read, though, if you had. And, the appreciation gift idea is great!

    Visiting from the Kid Lit blog hop.

    Tina @ Amanda's Books and More

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like me! I have no doubt you'll enjoy yourself with these activities, and that Wild Thing and Caterpillar will too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound like some great activities. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you have a plan! I think that counts for a lot! Thanks for linking into the Kid Lit Blog Hop. I'd like to join in the Virtual Book Club sometime and likely will when I get a wee bit more organized! Have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the popcorn idea! I'm visiting you from the Children's Lit Blog Hop, and now I'll join your hop too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete