Tuesday, November 27, 2012

{Ten for Giving Tuesday} Things That REALLY Go!! Giving That Goes the Distance...

This Tuesday should be all about Buses and Boats...that was the plan, post #4 in my Things That Go! Series. However, this Tuesday is not just a typical Tuesday. It is Giving Tuesday, and the first Giving Tuesday ever. If you follow my blog at all, you will not be surprised  to discover that I am taking a break from my transportation Ten for Tuesday series to focus on this important day -- a day for us all to pause from the spending/shopping frenzy that started with Black Friday, continued through Small Business Saturday and peaked with Cyber Monday and take a moment to focus on a different type of giving -- giving that really goes the distance.

Today, I support No Kid Hungry, an organization committed to ending child hunger in the U.S., where 1 in 5 children still struggle with hunger (that is 16 million), an organization that can turn $1 into 10 meals for a child in need. 

I would be hard pressed to find any $1 gift I could buy that could have such significance. I invite all of you to join me in participating in Giving Tuesday. No Kid Hungry is my giving choice (and is hoping to raise $5k today!! Help make it happen!!) -- Last week I shared a fun poem about my decision to participate in Giving Tuesday. Today, I am sharing ten posts from the blogosphere about parenting, kids and giving.  

1. Food Hunt and Gathering - a post about Teaching Generosity from JDaniel4's Mom shared at Kids Activities Blog by the Quirky Mommas. Plus, Giving Benefits the Giver from JDaniel4's Mom reminds us that giving is also good for the giver.

2. True Aim Education has a Gift of Giving Family Challenge for November with lots of posts linked up that relate to helping children learn to give.  

3. Random Acts of Kindness Jars from Kindergarten and Preschool for Parents and Teachers.

4. KC Edventures shares ways to Get Kids Involved in Giving this Holiday Season.

5. Connecting Family and Seoul has 10 Ways to Teach Toddlers about Kindness.
 

6. More Than Enough - An Archived post from this blog from back in my After-School Program days that shares a touching (and true) story about how one little boy decided to give $1 and it made all the difference!  

7. 52 Brand New explains why volunteering at a food pantry is a perfect volunteer experience for kids. 

8. Pragmatic Mom shares 10 Books that Help Children Understand Hunger at Let's Lasso the Moon.

9. The Educators' Spin On It has a great Parenting with Purpose Series, which often features posts on giving back, such as Mari from Inspired by Family Magazine writing about the Joy of Giving and my guest post on Teaching Children about Hunger and Giving.

10. No Time for Flash Cards has joined up with other bloggers to create #Blog4Cause focused on Simple Ways to Give Back. I love their tag line - In a Season of Getting, Teach Your Children About Giving. This post also includes a link up so bloggers can share all they are doing to give back (through money and time!)  

For more ideas and inspiration, check out my Be the Change Pinboard, which focused on Hunger Action in September, Breast Cancer Awareness in October and on Gratitude this month as well as my A Season of Giving Pinboard and cruise the September archives on the blog for much more on engaging kids and getting involved to end hunger - including a round-up/blog hop featuring lots of great ideas/posts from Hunger Action Month and a Ten for Tuesday post with simple ways to help out. I hope you have been inspired.


Will you be giving today? What will be your charity of choice? How do you help your children to understand the joy and value of giving? I would love to know. Share in the comments. Share in Facebook. Tweet at me using #GivingTuesday #GoodLongRoad -- Let me know how good it feels to give! If you give, share and spread the word that you are giving, it will encourage others to give too!

P.S. No worries - boats and buses will be here next week, and I have lots of great activities/play ideas/books/art and more for your transportation-loving little one. 

P.S.S Check out the fun Every Can Counts video Moms Fighting Hunger put together for Hunger Action Month! 



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing my post! I love reading the others listed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One dollar making ten meals--that is amazing! Thanks for sharing all this information!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing gift and cause. I am spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such an awesome post! we are donating food this week to a food pantry in town. i'll have to read the rest of these posts as well!

    ReplyDelete