Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Gift to be Simple

Right now, I have one very simple gift under our little tree and that is it. This gift is so simple that it is practically empty -- yes I have a nearly empty box (from the Dollar Tree) under our Christmas Tree. 

It is not a present. Instead it is a presence reminder -- this (almost) empty box is my visual cue/reminder to be present to my family this holiday season, rather than getting caught up in shopping, parties, and all the busy activities that can dominate the holiday season and actually pull us away from our family.

In the box, I put index cards on which I have written about one moment during the day when I was completely present -- completely and utterly focused on ONLY Wild Thing or Caterpillar or both -- a moment that I want to remind myself to be grateful for, a moment that demonstrated the magic, the value, the wonder of being completely present. 

Simple, huh? Yes. Simple, but also one of my best Christmas presents/presence ever. What's under your tree? 

You might also like:
A Lesson in Giving From My 3 Year-Old
Gratitude in December...Stress Free Holiday


  1. Such a beautiful idea - I love it!

  2. Love the idea and the reminder! thx for sharing. ~mari

  3. This is such a wonderful idea! I live it!

  4. I can't tell you just how much I love this! Brilliant. I'm so doing this! Thank you SO much!