Saturday, December 15, 2012

Dollar Store Decorating/Craft Challenge

Since we love recycled crafts/art/play and are always finding ways to make something out of, basically, nothing, I was excited about participating in the Dollar Store Christmas Decorating Challenge I found through Kids Stuff World. However, when I looked at the other amazing decor items, I got a little intimidated. You see, I have the creativity, but not the crafting talent. My mother is a craft genius (ask anyone at her church where she heads a church bizarre that brings in $20,000-$25,000 annually through its holiday boutique). It is not genetic. Add in the element of creating my Dollar Store Christmas Decor with my 3 yo, and you get some really fun decorations, but nothing to measure up to the amazing items I have been so impressed by at the linky over at Kids Stuff World. Still, I am sharing and linking up because we did have a blast participating in the Dollar Store Christmas Decorating Challenge. 

I provided two set-ups for Wild Thing, my 3 yo, with the goal of making ornaments.

Set up #1: Pipe cleaners and pony beads = $2
My initial thought was the classic pipe cleaner wreaths, but Wild Thing thought our tree needed some nests, so that is what he created instead. 

Initially, these went in the tree, but baby brother kept taking them off the tree and then taking the pony beads off of the pipe cleaners, and we did not want him to put a pony bead in his mouth, so the nests were added to our wreath outside, which needed a little bit of extra color. We love it! 

My next Dollar Store Decorating set up was inspired by a Christmas craft/tray I saw at Living Montessori Now.

Set up #2: Snowflake coasters, poster paint, q-tips, yarn, hole punch. $2 (snowflakes + paint from Dollar Store)
Using the hole punch definitely challenged Wild Thing, but it was a challenge he really embraced. I expected him to be more excited about making snow dots on the snowflakes with the q-tip and paint, but he primarily wanted to use the hole punch.

What are your go to items at the Dollar Store? What creative creations have you made recently? If you have made a Christmas decoration from Dollar Store items, head over to Kids Stuff World and link-up, the linky is open for 3 more days! 

Also Check Out:

Button Christmas Trees

Montessori Monday


  1. Aww I love his nests!! And hole punching foam is awesome! Thanks for sharing this week on the Sunday Showcase!

  2. So glad you did this Jen! My little guys would adore Wild Things nests. In fact ,,, I have a feeling we will be making a few tomorrow!

  3. Great ideas, Jen! And thanks so much for linking to my post! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Kids' Christmas Activities Board at

  4. Your snowflakes look so neat on the tree! I love how you let Wild Thing do his thing with the pipe cleaners, too. I have a tough time letting go of my vision for a project sometimes, but it always turns out well in the end