Saturday, December 1, 2012

Our First Christmas Craft (Finally): Button Coffee Filter Christmas Tree

We finally did our first Christmas craft! It started as a simple craft using coffee filters to create trees and buttons (mostly green, but also some white) to glue on the coffee filters. However, following Wild Thing's lead it expanded to a complete creation of a Christmas tree lot! We had so much fun.


It began simply with some #2 coffee filters that I cut to look like trees and some buttons I had left over from a project long ago at an after-school program. (The coffee filters were on clearance at my local supermarket for 50 cents, so I grabbed them knowing I would figure something out with them). 

   
He made his first set of trees and then we decided we needed to make a tree lot (he also initiated some button sorting into an egg carton on his own, which made it easy for me when I set up the tree lot activity).



We moved his first trees off of the poster board so that we could focus on the letters - this was his idea too as he kept trying to make the buttons connect to form letters, so I put glue on the letters and let him add the buttons. (He is really into letters right now and makes them out of his cars, crayons and food all the time!) Once the letters were done, he decided he needed to paint -- oh and can you tell that he also scattered some white buttons on the page? Those are snowflakes!


  
He wanted to make some new trees too - I cut one and he spread it apart to make it bigger and said it was the daddy tree and then asked for a small baby tree. Pretty soon, we had created our family as represented by different trees. (Do you also see the yellow paint making stars at the top of the trees?) We added some final touches and put his special Christmas Tree Lot up in the window of his room. 


 This is the first Christmas decoration to go up in our house and I absolutely love it! 


I also have to share the button Christmas trees from Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk. They are great and includes a sequencing activity.
<Organic Aspirations Featured at Tuesday Tots on Rainy Day Mum
You might also like:
Easy Baby Play at Home #4
Pine Cone Painting
Lavender Bath Scrub for Grandma

 
 

5 comments:

  1. I love all of those green buttons! How fun for your little one. Thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like to use coffee filter for playschool crafts. Thanks for linking up with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for (finally) getting Christmas crafty!!! Love all the buttons. Wonderful.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these - I'm a huge fan of buttons :)

    Thank you for linking up to Tuesday Tots this week and just to let you know that I will be featuring it this week on Rainy Day Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable with all of the buttons, and I like how you displayed them for little fingers to grab. I featured this on Eco Kids this week.

    ReplyDelete