Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Team No Kid Hungry Holiday Give-A-Thon

Through my work running and teaching at after-school programs and as an independent filmmaker in the middle of a documentary about a successful low-income public school, I have become all too aware of the unfortunate, challenging reality facing far too many children (16 million) in the U.S. as they struggle with hunger.

As I have learned first hand, many children get their main meals and snacks (and for some their only meals and snacks) while at school through free breakfast, lunch and snack programs, like the snack program that I used to supervise when I ran an after-school program. Many of the 100 students at my program would leave at 6 pm unsure of whether or not they would have anything to eat for dinner that night. Needless to say, extra snacks were a hot commodity.

I believe that no child should be excited about going to school simply because it means they will have food to eat or should grab up an extra snack the second it becomes available so that they can stash it in their backpack for a younger sibling at home that will not have anything else to eat that night.

I often take for granted my ability to provide healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for my kids, but realize I should not and cannot. So, I am giving back and I hope you will join me.

Join me, all day on December 20th for the Team No Kid Hungry Holiday Give-A-Thon. Our goal is to raise awareness and funds for No Kid Hungry, hopefully with over 2,500 bloggers and tweeters participating. We challenge ourselves to raise $10,000 in one day, although our great sexy thinker Amanda Hite thinks we can blow that away and hit $30,000 or event $50,000 in one day. I am up to the challenge, are you? To reach these goals, we definitely need your help!

If you have a blog, we encourage you to share a post asking your network to join us for the Team No Kid Hungry Holiday Give-A-Thon. Here are the details:

Overeating this holiday season? Overwhelmed by holiday parties and shopping? Take a break and do something this holiday season to help others! Tweet for No Kid Hungry as part of the No Kid Hungry Holiday Give-A-Thon. Think of it as a holiday party you can look forward to - you can attend it in your pajamas and know that you are making a difference and helping kids in need from the comfort of your own home - that sounds like my kind of holiday party.

When: Thursday, December 20, 2012  9 am - 11 pm EST

How to Participate:

On Twitter:
Follow: @NoKidHungry
Retweet messages from @NoKidHungry Use the hashtag #NoKidHungry  

On Facebook:
Like No Kid Hungry and share No Kid Hungry status updates 

Or you can donate right now to support the Team No Kid Hungry Holiday Give-A-Thon!