Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kids Get Arty: Romero Britto


I re-discovered Romero Britto specifically while selecting our artist for our participation in Kids Get Arty, the bi-monthly art challenge from Red Ted Art to Explore the Great Artists with kids

He is a Brazilian-American artist and I knew immediately when I saw his work that he was the artist for us and also perfect with Valentine's Day right around the corner, as I love his graphic heart prints. He is one of those artists whose work I had seen before, even though I was not aware (at the time) of his name. 

While he also does sculpture, installations and portraits as well, I was inspired by his Fine Art Prints and their graphic bold colors and style, and Wild Thing really liked them too. Plus, I thought this idea would lend itself really well to sticky paper collage art, perfect for little hands like my Pre-K boy and toddler. Here are the two heart prints that inspired this activity:
To get started, I just pulled out scraps of wrapping paper, tissue paper and gift bags we already had -- pair that with contact paper and you are basically all set. A bonus aspect of this activity was engaging Wild Thing and Caterpillar in helping me make the scraps, not just create their sticky art. I love it when they can be involved in preparing an activity, and they love it too. For Wild Thing, who is 3 and just started learning to cut last month, this is great cutting practice, especially since the cuts do not need to be accurate. As for Caterpillar, I gave him some well-used/worn tissue paper to rip apart and he had a blast! (To capture the Britto style more accurately, bigger pieces would have been more appropriate than the small pieces the boys cut and ripped, but I decided we could spare the accuracy in favor of fun.)
I love the intensity in his face as he rips the tissue paper.
Once we had our scrapes all done, I collected them together in an egg carton and gave the boys pieces of contact paper for them to put their various wrapping/tissue paper scraps on. When they were done, I put another piece of contact paper on top and then cut out our hearts and other shapes. (These would work well for window-art too!)


I really loved our finished products and so did the boys - we also made some letters because we really loved the Alphabet Letters in the Britto collection.


I am sure we will do this activity again as it is so simple and so much fun. Grab your tissue paper or Christmas wrapping paper scraps (if you keep that type of thing) or hit up the dollar store and buy some bold, colorful papers and get going on your own Britto project - perhaps Britto-inspired hearts to put in your favorite window for Valentine spirit. I also love these prints by him that also offer wonderful inspiration for art with kids.

 

Whatever you do, enjoy! We certainly did. (I also made some coloring sheets inspired by Britto that I hope to add to this post soon). Oh - and do not forget to head over to Red Ted Art for her Andy Warhol post and to see what other great art activities have been linked up as part of Kids Get Arty this month! 

All of our collage pieces spread out together. Cannot wait to make more!
  

Here are some of other Kids Get Arty activities from 2012, including our Andy Warhol post, which was are most popular Kids Get Arty post of last year. 

Pop Art: Andy Warhol
Milk Painting: Van Gogh

 










Sharing this post at: Monday Kid Corner, Artsy Play Wednesday, It's Playtime
Organic Aspirations

12 comments:

  1. Those came out so cute! What a great activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, this rocks! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of Romero Britto but was delighted to meet him and learn about his art! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea to make collages with the children. So colourful and bright - and yes, perfect for Valentine's too.

    Brilliant project.

    Thanks for joining in with Kids Get Arty.

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Suja@blogmemom

    ReplyDelete
  6. These turned out great! What a fun artist study!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable idea! Had to pin it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this post! Romero Britto is one of my favorite artists-I'm an art teacher and do several lessons about him. I really like the image you have of all of the alphabet. Can I ask where you got that image? I'd love to buy it from somewhere :)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, they turned out just lovely! Thanks for joining in with Kids Get Arty & sharing on the Sunday Showcase (doing a 2 for 1 comment deal here!) - I have pinned this to the SS group board. I might just make some similar hearts with my preschoolers - they are so colorful and fun. The 3yr olds would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These valentines turned out so pretty! Really neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is extremely amazing and wonderful! Thank you for sharing this. Awesome and perfect for the kids. We also did a Contact Paper Transfer Art out of the same materials you used. You should check this out!
    EarlyLearning.Momtrusted.com Contact Paper Transfer Art

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look just fab, and fun to make too.

    ReplyDelete