Sunday, February 10, 2013

{Project 101: Weekly Library Challenge} Week #4: DR. SEUSS!!


Week 4 - Wow! Already. I enjoy sharing what we are reading now and have gotten a lot of great feedback on this series, where I share 2 books (one the boys love and one I am reading) each week from the library in honor of the 101st birthday of our library, the Count of Los Angeles Public Library. By the end of the year, we will have shared 101 books. Recently, Wild Thing discovered Dr. Seuss and loves Green Eggs and Ham, which (somehow) we do not own. (He also loves One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, which is actually the only Dr. Seuss book we own. Thank goodness for the library!) 


The rhyming in Green Eggs and Ham definitely is much of its appeal for Wild Thing (3), as well as the illustrations. However, I often cannot quite read every word on each page before he is ready to move on and turn the page and get to the next part of the story. Still, this book works well for where his learning process and development are with early reading, and I plan to put together a simple game with the rhyming words that will help him connect their similarities phonetically. I was hoping the book would also encourage him to try a few new green foods, but no luck with that just yet!

Dr. Seuss is the Virtual Book Club for Kids' Author for this months, so I thought I would also highlight some Dr. Seuss books for older babies and toddlers (12-24 months - Caterpillar is 18 months) and Dr. Seuss books for early readers/Pre-K kids (3-4+ years old). Regarding the Virtual Book Club for Kids, you can start linking up your brilliant Dr. Seuss-inspired activities next Monday and see how Wild Thing and I decide to Move, Eat, Draw and Learn with Green Eggs and Ham.

Pssst...I know I have a gap in my age suggestions listed above as I cut-off the Baby/Toddler group at 24 months and pick up my Pre-K at 36 months. For most 2 year-old children, the first set of books is probably best, but there may be a few from the second set of books that will also work, depending on the child. Wild Thing began liking One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish at around that age, and I think Ten Apples On Top would have been a hit too. This is why I love the library, I can experiment with what books work best for both Wild Thing and Caterpillar for free! 

If I Ran the Circus is one our list that I did not read as a child. I only recently discovered it (at the library, of course) when Wild Thing picked it out, and he really enjoyed it. I think another great library challenge would be to read every Dr. Seuss book. Maybe next year.

As for what I am reading, I was hoping this week to be reading Theodore SEUSS Giesel by Donald E. Pease, a biography of Dr. Seuss, in keeping with my biography/autobiography kick (Julie and Julia from Week 2 and Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass from last week), but the book has not come in yet from when I put it on hold. I thought sharing this biography would be a perfect fit for the Dr. Seuss emphasis this week on the kids' side, but I will have to share that book on another week. 

What I am reading this week is an autobiography of sorts: Start Something That Matters by Black Mycoskie of TOMS Shoes. I only started reading it quite recently, but have already found it inspiring and useful, since my husband and I have our own business that we created in order to start something that matters. Our production company, Think Ten Media Group, is committed to making entertaining, engaging films that are also thought-provoking, compelling and socially relevant. The company also has an Arts Education division, Generation Arts, that directly makes a difference everyday in the lives of youth as we empower them to create rather than merely consume media. In essence, we make media that matters and create opportunities for others to do so as well. We have two YouTube channels: the official Generation Arts YouTube channel and a channel one of our teachers created featuring stop-motion work by youth MrLeo4GenArts YouTube channel. 

Blake's book is about his journey: how he came to create TOMS, what he learned along the way.

It also tells the stories of others socially conscious companies and their stories, and offers insight into making positive transformations in our lives, whether professionally or personally (or both). It is motivating, and I appreciate its emphasis on the importance of finding your story and telling it - in a compelling way (as a company, blogger, writer, individual - anyone committed to making a difference). 

In particular, I love how he shares that TOMS allowed him to stop compartmentalizing his ambitions: personal, professional, philanthropic, but brought them together because this is something I felt, too, when my husband and I decided to completely dedicate ourselves to Think Ten. I felt whole and not so frazzled by being pulled in so many different directions. When life is holistic and unified, it flows and all of the energy can move in the right direction.

So, what is your passion? What direction do you want your life to go? Here are Blake's big three questions:  1) If you did not have to worry about money, what would you do with your time? 2) What kind of work would you want to do? 3) What cause would you serve? 

And, I could not resist sharing these Dr. Seuss TOMS Shoes I found on Etsy!



Happy reading -- and Start Something That Matters

Shared at: The Children's Bookshelf   

Project 101 so far:

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3

  



 


7 comments:

  1. I love the Seuss shoes! What a wonderful collection of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Dr. Seuss! The Lorax is our favorite. I hadn't heard of Start Something That Matters before your post but it sounds very much in line with the way we are trying to live. I will have to try to get a hold of it. Thanks for sharing - I'm really enjoying following along on your Library Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of the shoes book. My all time favorites are the Foot Book and Green Eggs and Ham. Even though my children are grown, I can still hear myself reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite tom quotes is. " incorporate giving in everything you do" :) I love wearing my toms everyday!

    --- Maria G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids grew up on Dr. Seuss books so we have such fond memories of The Foot Book and Mr. Brown Says Moo. It took me while, though, to discover Dr. Seuss' aliases but we also loved his Theo Le Sieg books too! My kids learned to count from 10 Apples Up on Top!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read the TOMS book! And those shoes are amazing.

    I want to leave the world a better place than I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love all the Dr. Seuss books we have at home or have gotten at the library!
    This week we've been playing with Hop on Pop.

    ReplyDelete