Tuesday, February 26, 2013

{Ten for Tuesday} Things That Go! Dr. Seuss Edition (Week #9)

If you are visiting from Growing Book by Book for my post as part of Booking Across the USA, in which more than 50 bloggers are sharing a book about their state and a corresponding activity, please accept my apology. My state is Nebraska (I actually live in California, but have some Nebraska connections, and there were two bloggers already doing California, so I offered to do Nebraska). However, the book C is for Cornhusker has been on hold for me at my bookmobile for a few weeks, but the truck has had problems, so I have not been able to get the book. I am hoping  to get it soon, so I can share my cornhusker post. In the meantime, while you are here, please enjoy this Dr. Seuss post (consider it part of Massachusetts!) If you came to check out this latest Ten for Tuesday: Things That Go post, glad you are here and hope you also go check out Booking Across the USA!

This Ten for Tuesday: Dr. Seuss-edition of Things That Go was completely inspired by this wonderfully cool Tot Car Game from the Quirky Mommas over at the Kids Activities Blog inspired by Oh the Places You'll Go. So, here we go - Dr. Seuss inspired things that go.


1. Of course, we start with READ sharing some top Dr. Seuss books that have things that go!


2. Get Moving! (and Learn)  - Anyone with active little ones knows that children are the ultimate things that go and these Hop on Pop Games from Coffee Cup and Crayons definitely get them going, and teach them sight words at the same time. Reading Confetti also used the Foot Book as inspiration to get her kiddos moving.

3. Create a Vehicle! Kitchen Counter Chronicles shared how Marvin K. Will You Please Go Now inspired her daughter to create her own mode of transportation for Marvin to go and engaged her daughter in so many ways -- encouraging writing, reading, drawing and, of course, lots of imagination. While Wild Thing and Caterpillar are too little to do much drawing (lots of scribbling, though!), I think I might try pipe cleaners perhaps with playdough for them to create their own vehicle for Marvin. 

4. Upcycle Sleighs - At Christmas, we were inspired by How the Grinch Stole Christmas and created a sleigh from a milk jug. True to the quirky dog reindeer in the book, we made dino-deers to pull the sleigh. You could also make a sleigh for And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street and challenge your child to have the sleigh transform into other vehicles as well. 

5. Measure it - I thought that this activity was particularly brilliant, especially for teaching little ones who love things that go about measurement and size. School Time Snippets shared several Dr. Seuss activities and one of them involved measuring the length of your foot (traced on paper and cut out) with cars -- what a fun way to use your favorite toys that go.

6. Relay Rally - Wild Thing right now is really into road rallies. I am planning to set up a Green Eggs Road Rally Relay with green eggs being balanced on spoons, as soon as the plastic eggs pop up at the dollar store. I know it will be a big hit -- photos, hopefully, coming soon! 

7. Get Crafty! Make a Wump - I love this egg carton upcycle from Kitchen Counter Chronicles. Her wump rocks!

8. Imagine It - We have just started reading And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street. Now as we walk to tot school or just for fun, we engage our imaginations that much more -- we look around and see what we see, then we add on and make it so much more! We might even make some imagination binoculars (from toilet paper rolls, of course) to use on our walks. You will be the first to see photos if we do! 

Wild Thing took this photo of a parade float and monster truck.
 9. Go Dog Go! Part of the Dr. Seuss I Can Read Beginner Books series, though technically written by P.D. Eastman, I think this book fits perfect well in a Seuss-inspired Things That Go and it is the ultimate thing that goes book. Royal Baloo shows how this book inspires pretend play, dog and car painting (painting with the dogs and cars), stop light crafts and much more.  

10. Get Going! Pick a book, any book (does not have to be Seuss), read it and see what things in it go and then see what that inspires. It may be races in the front road, painting with cars, arrows and special routes, maps or so much more, but get out there and play. 

Sharing at: The Children's Bookshelf, Tuesday Tots, Read.Explore.Learn, The Sunday Showcase, Mom's Library, It's Playtime, Artsy Play Wednesday.        
 

You might also like: 
4+ Green Eggs + Ham Activities
Fire Trucks, Police Cars + More
Seuss Books!

8 comments:

  1. You have the best themes for your posts! Great list and thanks for including my posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Dr. Seuss - thank you for sharing all these links. I especially like the idea to measure your foot with cars - we will have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great ideas here! Thanks for sharing! I loved several of those same links you shared, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas that I'm sure my car-loving kids will enjoy. Thanks for sharing at The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am from igamemom. Great ideas here for my Seuss Storytime at the library. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun ideas!! featuring your post tomorrow on the Sunday Showcase!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to let you know I will be featuring this on Mom's Library this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful ways to explore Dr. Seuss books! You are so creative! I will be sharing this post on Facebook and Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete