Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Kid's Co-Op: Fun with Food for St. Patrick's Day and Spring

I typically prefer to bake from scratch than using cake mix boxes, but I broke the usual rules when I decided to make this Pistachio St. Patricks Day Bread that I found at Better Than Burgers. It looked too cool to pass up. 

We made a few variations on the recipe, specifically using plain yogurt instead of sour cream (which I tend to do with most recipes) and sunflower seeds instead of walnuts (because I had sunflower seeds) and I skipped the almond extract altogether. (Plus, we added in some green sugar sprinkles just for fun).

  
Mixing it up.
Enjoying the final product.
I realize that an Irish Soda Bread would be much more appropriate, but this recipe was still a lot of fun to make -- and eat. Glittering Muffins featured a savory and sweet variety in her recent Around the World in 12 Dishes post, so I think we will give it a whirl.

There were also some creative food ideas in the Co-Op last week that caught my eye -- perfect for Spring. (That is our pistachio bread below on the top right. I think I would like to try another batch using real pistachios rather than the pudding mix -- it will not be as green, but it should be quite delicious).


JDaniel4's Mom always has creative, fun food ideas, just like this St. Patricks Day Yogurt and Cereal Parfait. Super Mommy shared some rainbow cupcakes, and there are lots of recipes and favorite Irish foods featured as B. Inspired Mama shared 16 St. Patricks Day Traditions.

There were also a couple of nice Spring/Easter food ideas shared: Rice Krispie Treat Peeps from My Joy-Filled Life and a special Easter morning meal from Creative Kid Snacks.

You will also find lots of food and other St. Patrick's Day ideas over at Reading Confetti where she featured several ideas from the Co-Op two weeks ago. Plus, she has some other fun green food (and more) in her Green Eggs and Ham round up from the Co-Op as well.

What Spring fun are you having? Any favorite recipes? Please share! Link Up and Play!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment