Friday, March 15, 2013

{Kid's Co-Op} Rainbow Activities for Kids + Color Learning (in 2 languages!)

I added rosa and anaranjado too! 
Through the posts I am featuring, you will find over 100 rainbow activities here! Wild Thing and I are enjoying helping Caterpillar (19 months) learn his colors. Wild Thing (3) thinks it is so fun that he can help his brother to learn - and we are both enjoying coming up with fun ways for him to engage with different colors and reinforce his association. At the same time, it offers me with an opportunity to help Wild Thing learn the Spanish words for the colors, which is something I originally introduced to him through the great Rebecca Emberley book My Colors Mis Colores - a simple bilingual book that has really worked well for us.

In addition to sharing some of the color activities we have been doing, I am also highlighting the fun rainbow crafts, activities and snacks highlighted last week through the Kid's Co-Op. With St. Patrick's Day just around the corner and Spring on its way for many of us, it is the perfect time for rainbow fun -- and I love that rainbows provide great learning opportunities. You can use basically any of the activities featured to help your children learn their colors -- or to help them learn the names of colors in a new language! As you engage with the activity talk about the colors, say the color names over and over, ask your child to get a certain color (ask in both languages), and have fun.

Our rainbow color sorting station is made from toilet paper rolls wrapped with paper, as are the clouds (with cotton balls added on). I did a similar color sorting activity about a year ago with Wild Thing and see many very cool activities like this all over the blogosphere, so I cannot take credit for originality, but I do like the spin I added this time by making ours look like a rainbow and using it to reinforce Spanish language words with Wild Thing. I gave he and Caterpillar an egg carton with pipe cleaners, pony beads, pom poms, milk caps and other items that could be put into the corresponding tubes. I had some scraps of colored paper after I set up the activity so I used those to create a rainbow invitation to play for the boys.

Caterpillar and I had lots of fun creating rainbow art together. Caterpillar would pick a paper scrap and tell me the color and then put glue on it with a glue stick and then I would put in on the bubble wrap (he was not really interested in the putting it on the paper/bubble wrap part, just the glue part!). If he was not sure of a color, I would remind him. I also would ask him for a certain color sometimes, as well. The activity also utilized his fine motor skills as well as helping him build his vocabulary and learn his colors. Here is our final masterpiece. 

Now enjoy all the other rainbow fun from the Kid's Co-Op last week!

(Left to right) B. Inspired Mama has adorable St. Patrick's Day Crowns that we will have to make since we have all of the items on hand - I love the rainbow element she added to these. Momma's Fun World shared Rainbow Science for kids using Kool-Aid. Housing A Forest shares TONS of rainbow crafts and activities from the PLAY Group in her post. And I love the Ice Cube Rainbow Painting activity from JDaniel4's Mom, which is an activity I have been wanting to do with Wild Thing and Caterpillar. 

Plus, The Educators' Spin On It has over 100 rainbow activities linked up and features lots of great learning activities using rainbows.

Finally, there were also some yummy rainbow snacks that were shared: Rainbow Cake from House of Burke, St. Patrick's Day Rainbow Platter from The Joys of Boys and Rainbow Jello from Mess for Less. Creative Kids Snacks also shared rainbow fruit snack ideas.

Shared at:
Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop


Also shared at Eco-Kids Tuesday, Artsy Play Wednesday, Spring Break Activities Linky, Tuesday Tots.             

Now, it is time for the Co-Op! Link-Up and Play!


  1. Thank you for sharing my activity!

  2. I really like your color sorting activity. I need to do more bilingual language learning activities with my kids - they are interested.

  3. I love the bilingual color activity. It's nice and not too difficult to sneak in a little foreign language and it really does work.

  4. What a great idea to teach your oldest colors in Spanish while teaching your youngest colors! Thanks so much for linking up to the Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop!

  5. I think I'll have to get my 2 year old into some rainbow activities. I never had to consciously work on colours with my two eldest - they just picked them up. Miss 2 seems to be struggling a little!

    I love the bilingual element too.

  6. Hi Maryanne! Boy do I have empty toilet paper rolls around the house! Definitely going to try to do this with my 4 yr. old. :) Thank you for sharing at the Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop #1.

  7. I really love that you get the older one involved in "helping" his younger sibling! Thanks for sharing on Say It Two Ways Thursdays!

  8. Thanks for sharing, we are working on colours here. My older son is colour blind, so I am starting to worry that my 2.5 year old is as well, cause he doesnt seem to be able to learn some of them.

    Please link up your activity at my linky too!

  9. I'm always on the look out for bilingual language activities that are hands on. Thanks for a great idea.

  10. I like all the vibrant colors that you sorted together. I can understand Caterpillar's interest in the glue. The sticky feeling is fun for our little ones too. : 0 )

  11. Great rainbow idea. Our playschool children can count 1-10 in Spanish, maybe colors is the next step! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope to see you again tomorrow!

  12. I love the idea of using the tubes for sorting...we have so many recyclables and paper scraps lying around this will be so easy and fun to try. Thanks for linking up to Linky Lunes!