Saturday, March 9, 2013

{Project 101} Weekly Library Challenge: Food, Farms and More!

If you are just discovering Project 101, it is our project committed to sharing 101 books this year in honor of our library (County of Los Angeles Public Library) celebrating 101 years. Each week, to reach our goal, we share two books - one for the kids and one for adults to give you a little peek into what we are reading (with the boys we read much more than one book each week of course). This week both books ended up relating to food and farming in their own ways. With the boys, we have been reading C is for Cornhusker: A Nebraska Alphabet, written by Rajean Luebs Shepherd and illustrated by Sandy Appleoff -- a book we discovered as part Booking Across the U.S.A. a project from Growing Book by Book.  We really are enjoying this book, and recently shared 10+ activities related to the book

As for me, I am in the middle of Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating by Mark Bittman. The book definitely is eye-opening as it discusses the ways that poor diet, overeating, junk food and excessive consumption of meat not only has led to poor health for so many in the U.S. but also contributes to lack of access to affordable, healthy foods for many, particularly low income families and is damaging to our environment. In short, by eating better -- meaning more fruits and vegetables and less animal products, we cannot only improve our health, but also reduce our environmental impact and, hopefully, advocate for a food system in which produce becomes more available and affordable in contrast to junk food being king. For me, regardless of whether or not I might agree with everything he says (or whether or not others might agree), I do instinctively resonate with the idea that I should only be eating foods with identifiable ingredients and that fewer ingredients are better. What is in Cheetos anyway? What is Yellow #5 and why is it in my food? In short, for me, I am working to shift my eating so that I focus on grains and healthy protein in the morning, fruits and vegetables throughout the day and then a sensible family dinner for us. It just makes sense! 

Sharing at: The Children's Bookshelf    

Find out what else we have been reading:

Feeling a little Frenchy
Dr. Seuss + TOMS Shoes
Women's History Month Book
Women's History Month Book for Kids


  1. That is a great idea for a project. It will be fun to see all of the books you are reading and to try out your activities. Thank you!

  2. I love how you have both an adult and kid's book and I love learning about farms since it's like a lost art for most of us.

  3. What a neat idea. I need to check out the Food Matters book. Thanks for the idea.