Friday, May 31, 2013

{Project 101} Weekly Library Challenge: Construction + Michael J. Fox...

If you follow the blog, you know all about Project 101, the Weekly Library Challenge, where I share a library book that has been a favorite of the boys from the past week and a library book that I have been reading that week. By the end of the year, 101 library books will have been featured in honor of the fact that the County of Los Angeles Public Library (our library) is celebrating its 101st birthday. 
Two weeks ago, we shared 100+ children's books related to transportation, and I cannot believe we managed to leave The Construction Crew by Lynn Metzer off the list. We have checked it out from the library before, but like it so much that we checked it out again. Of course, Wild Thing (3.5) and Caterpillar (almost 2) love seeing all the different types of trucks featured in the book, particularly the truck with the wrecking ball, and enjoy watching the construction crew build and paint. Something I appreciate about the book is the diversity of the construction works, not only ethnically but in regard to gender and age as well. I appreciate that their are female construction workers and workers with grey beards. If you have not read this book, add it to your library list. 

In terms of what I have been reading lately, in a rush at the library I grabbed A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Future: Twists and Turns and Lessons Learned by Michael J. Fox, a book intended for recent high school or college grads. Even though graduation was long ago for me, I still enjoyed the book, especially the little insights into Fox's life and experiences as an actor, particularly since I am an independent filmmaker living outside of Los Angeles with friends who are actors. I appreciated his recounting of wrapping up a season of Family Ties while also shooting Back to the Future with a wife who was due to have their first baby at any moment. I completely related to this type of madness as a mom who produced SMUGGLED, our latest feature film, which my husband wrote, directed and shot, while I was 7+ months pregnant. I also had Wild Thing (then 18-19 months) by my side every step of the way. (This is how he first gained an affinity for cameras!) I connected with the reality that sometimes as an artist, you find yourself stretching the limits of possibility. However, as I see the ways our family shares the joys and struggles of life as independent filmmakers, I realize I wouldn't have it any other way.
Wild Thing on set with us during the filming of Smuggled.
My husband and I with Caterpillar (then 5 months)
+ our lead actor and his mother at the World Premiere of Smuggled.
Wild Thing and Daddy at the Big Bear International Film Festival,
one of 15 festivals Smuggled was shown at.
The whole family at the Latino Book & Family Festival recently with the film.
What are your passions? How do you share them with your children? Oh, and of course, what books did you read this week? I want to know! Please share in the comments or on Facebook.

Shared at:
Kid Lit Blog Hop


  1. I'm happy to have found Project 101 Weekly Library Challenge on The Good Long Road on the Kid-Lit Blog Hop. I hope one day to have one of my award-winning children's books on your blog, since they all teach children good manners and consideration for others disguised as fun stories. Thanks for the post.

  2. Thanks for giving us a bit us insight into your background - how fascinating! It's amazing how much we can juggle sometimes, isn't it? I haven't run across Michael J. Fox's book yet. I have a nephew who is just graduating high school tomorrow. I may ship it off to him! Thanks for linking into the Kid Lit Blog Hop! :)