Saturday, June 29, 2013

Girl Rising -- Powerful Stories of Girls Who Are Rising + A Reminder to Support Them

We interrupted your regular scheduled programming to bring you this special announcement: EDUCATING GIRLS MATTERS...A LOT!!!
Image from the Girl Rising Website
What I should be posting today is my latest Project 101: Weekly Library Challenge post where I share a book the boys are reading and a book that I have been reading this week too -- of course both books are from the library. However, I had the amazing opportunity today to watch Girl Rising, a powerfully moving and inspiring documentary about girls who are standing up, against incredible odds often, to demand an education (and the story of those along the way you are helping or hindering their process). I loved the uplifting and hopeful aspects of the films, despite some grim realities:
  • 66 million girls are out of school globally
  • Every year, 150 million girls are victims of sexual violence (girls who are not in school are more susceptible to this violence)
  • 14 million girls under the age of 18 will be married this year; 13 in the last 30 seconds
  • The #1 cause of death for girls 15-19 worldwide is childbirth
BUT...
  • Girls with 8 years of education are 4x less likely to be married as a child
  • A girl with an extra year of education can earn 20% more as an adult
  • Educated girls grow economies: If India enrolled 1% more girls in secondary school, the country's GDP would rise by $5.5 billion
Educating girls improves economies, drives small businesses and can reduce poverty, and we can all do something to help. 

After I watched the film, I knew my first step in helping was spreading awareness about the film and its message, so this is my start...but only my very first baby step. Please take a few minutes to watch the Girl Rising Trailer, learn more about the importance of education for girls and get involved to make a difference.

And, I have a Library Challenge tie-in as there is a 10x10 Book Club featuring two novels that tell important stories from Cambodia and Ethiopia. I am putting these on my Library List! Does anyone want to join me in reading these books and discussing them? 

Also, if you've seen the movie, I would love to hear your thoughts about it. Did a particular girl's story stand out from you? Did the film inspire you to act? If so, in what ways? Please share in the comments or on my Facebook page as I would love to engage about this wonderful film. 

I have to close with a few words about the girls here in the U.S. who also need support to continue their education and about the reality that no act is too small. If you prefer to engage in a program or charity in your own community that works with youth/girls, then do it! It makes a difference. (I know many of you don't live in the U.S., but may live in countries that are classified as part of the "developed" world. I am sure that, as in the U.S., there are girls in your countries as well that could benefit from your support). The issues facing girls around the world a serious, and in poverty-stricken countries these issues can be particularly challenging, dangerous and brutal. 

I also have seen young women right here where I live (in California) face challenges as they, too, must help raise younger siblings rather than tending to their schoolwork or find themselves pushed to think more about boys and attracting the correct husband than their studies. Mentoring a young woman in your community could change her life. Raising your own children to support women's equality and education also matters. Do what you can with what you have where you are -- if that means making a donation to an organization working in another country, great; if it means doing something in your own community, great; if it means turning a family vacation into a service trip, great -- again just do something! The truth is that if each and everyone of us does something, then together we will create a world in which all girls are rising. 


Love seeing this young woman from East Los Angeles with her award
from the Reel Rasquache Art & Film Festival standing proudly
with her male counterparts. Her film was well-received by the audience.
My husband taught film to a class of 37 in East L.A., and we
are very proud of their accomplishments. Engaging women
with (STEM) Science, Math, Engineering and Technology is
particularly important, and we are proud to do that with Think Ten Media Group.
Congrats to one of the many girls rising through digital arts education!
(P.S. If my blog posts ever slow down, it is probably because I am busy doing work
for Think Ten -- empowering youth and making media that matters!) 

Thanks for reading. I truly hope you have the chance to watch the film - please also check out the take action page to see just how easy (and affordable) it is to make a difference: $30 buys a school uniform, $50 pays for school fees for a girl for a year and $100 pays for desks and chairs. 

P.S. This post was also delayed because Grandma came in town today (my mom, who Wild Thing cannot get enough of!), so if you don't hear much from us over the next week, that's why! Here's some posts to check out while we're off playing with Grandma: 


Things That Go: Fire Trucks, Police Cars + More! 
Simple Ideas for Baby Play at Home


100 Acts of Kindness Challenge
Top Posts of 2012


6 comments:

  1. I would love to see that film. It sounds amazing. Thank you for sharing the information so that I can look it up. I am glad you deviated from your planned topic (which you will share later) to share this film review. It sounds like a very inspirational film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That film sounds well worth watching. Enjoy your time with grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to be totally in on the books! Great post and great way to inspire all of us to start our baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post!! I can't wait to watch the film with my daughter thanks for sharing :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I can't wait to watch the film with my daughter :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab post, such an important cause - am going to check out the film. Have featured it at this week's Empty Your Archive, Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete