Thursday, June 20, 2013

{Summer Reading} Our Special Summer Book Nook + Book Activities and Reading Lists from The Kid's Co-Op

I put a blanket on the ground and add another for the bunnies. I also brought out a pillow and, of course, some books. Behind the bunnies, I folded up the crib runner my mother made which is no longer in use. It served as some great extra padding and decor for the tent. The boys love the transformation! Look carefully, the shadow along the back of the tent is of Wild Thing peering into the tent with his binoculars for the first time.
For the summer, I have decided to transform our tent into a special summer book nook. My husband won a tent recently when he completely his Community Emergency Response Team training. Of course, we put it in our yard -- why not?! The boys love it, so I thought it would be a new and fun place to read. (There are other books in the tent that you can't see in this picture. Plus, at night we'll read using flashlights and a lantern).

When I started to transform the tent into a book nook, I decided to create a whole reading adventure/experience to go with my son's first look at the tent as a special reading space this summer. I packed his backpack with some trail mix, binoculars (made from toilet paper rolls), a flashlight and a notepad and pen (plus some stickers so that he could decorate his binoculars). I also decided that we would head out this morning in search of rabbits. We have come cottontails that often come into our yard, and we like to leave carrots and lettuce scraps under a special tree for them. Of course, we did not see any rabbits this morning. But, anticipating this, when I added some pillows, blankets and books to the tent to create the right reading environment, I also put two stuffed bunnies in the tent and The Velveteen Rabbit so that at the end of our walk, we would indeed find some rabbits. Oh - and I put some carrots in there too, which went very well with our trail mix for a morning snack. 

We often see bunnies underneath this tree at night. 
Since there were none under the tree this morning,
we went looking for them...

Little brother is really checking these bunnies out!
I read The Velveteen Rabbit. Then big brother decided to read to all of us.
He enjoys helping Caterpillar learn his alphabet.
After reading time, Wild Thing and Caterpillar
thought the bunnies needed to go to the park!
I would say our new Summer Book Nook is a hit, as was our recent summer reading adventure. 

Is there a special reading space in your home? How do you make reading fun? Have you had a reading adventure lately? Please share. I love anything that makes reading even more special and fun for little ones. Here's some other reading adventures and fun books from The Kid's Co-Op last week. 

Last week's Kid's Co-Op featured many creative book activities and great reading lists that I thought would be perfect to share. First, some awesome book activities:
  • Since we also loved the book little blue and little yellow by Leo Lionni, I was a big fan of the activities for the book that Simple Mommie shared.
Plus, here's some book lists that will inspire you to head to the library (or, as the case may be, pop over to your library's website to start putting some books on hold!): 
  • Buggy and Buddy shared a great list of books selected by Elementary School teachers.


  1. What a fun little book nook! Love the shadow in that photo!

  2. What an adorable book nook. Thank you so much for sharing on our After School Link Up this week. I'll be featuring Summer Reading Ideas and featuring this post!

  3. What a wonderful book nook! I love the Velveteen Rabbit. Thank you for sharing this post.

  4. Ah, a tent is such a great summer reading retreat! You can even use it in the rain too. Thank you for including us in your great round-up of summer reading lists - I now have a few new ones on request at our library!

  5. What a wonderful use for a tent in the summer!! I love it! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

  6. I've already pinned this! Love how you set up your summer book nook. :)Thanks so much for sharing it at Stress-Free Sunday!

  7. What a great way to get kids to read more in the summer. I would have loved it as a kid or teen!

    Thanks for linking up at Artsy Play Wednesday. Pinned it to our group board.

  8. What a great way to get kids to read more in the summer. I would have loved it as a kid or teen!

    Thanks for linking up at Artsy Play Wednesday. Pinned it to our group board.

  9. Oooh, I love this idea! My Little Man would love it. Thanks so much for sharing :-)