Sunday, December 8, 2013

What We're Reading Now: An Animal Strike at the Zoo! {Project 101: Weekly Library Challenge + Virtual Book Club for Kids}

I loved putting together my Indie Book Gift List and sharing some fabulous gift guides recently. One of my favorite gift guides that I shared is from Stir the Wonder, who shared Experience Gifts for Kids such as museum memberships or camp experiences. These our the types of gifts our family loves. As I finally get caught up on both my Virtual Book Club for Kids post and Project 101: Weekly Library Challenge, where I share what the boys and I have been reading this past week, I realized that one of our favorite library books this week would be a great gift to give alongside a zoo membership!

Animal Strike at the Zoo (It's True!) by Karma Wilson is a book we discovered through the Virtual Book Club for Kids, which we absolutely love being a part of because we've discovered so many wonderful authors through it. 
This book is lots of fun and, as always with our VBCK books, we found ways to Move, Eat, Draw and Learn with this book. The boys loved moving like the animals in the book, including refusing to move like the animals do when they are on strike! 

We also had a fun snack time in which we ate peanuts and pecans (like the elephants) and oats like the zebras. 

For our art project, Wild Thing and Caterpillar created their own zoo! I love this activity for the way it encouraged the boys to practice using scissors. This animal alphabet wrapping paper that I got at a garage sale for 25 cents is a big hit at our house! We also get Ranger Rick Jr. magazine each month, which the boys love. We often use those for projects too, like the zoo collage you see here and our Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? art project.

Our learning activities with this book were literacy games and activities focused on the word: Zoo. Wild Thing loves finding double letters in words. Any time he sees two of the exact same letters next to each other, he gets very excited. We've already discussed that the double "O" often makes an "oo" sound, as in boo, zoo, noodles and oodles. So, we played rhyming games with the word zoo and practiced spelling it. I think I might have a future spelling bee competitor on my hands because already at age 4, Wild Thing loves to spell a word for me and then take a bow! 

The other half of Project 101 involves me sharing what book I've been reading from the library. I am terribly behind in sharing the books I've been reading. In fact, I'm so far behind that I've decided to just wait and do an end of the year post where I share many of the books I've been reading lately altogether to get caught up and as a way to share some inspirational reads for others to consider for the new year. 

In the meantime, I'm sharing a book that is currently at the top of my "TO READ" list: Montessori at Home or School: How to Teach Grace and Courtesy by the fabulous Deb Chitwood of Living Montessori Now and Bits of Positivity. This eBook is not only at the top of my list because Wild Thing and I are on the cover (though that is really cool, isn't it?), but because I truly believe in the value and importance of teaching children to be gracious and courteous. 

You better believe I'll be reading this book soon -- I've already snuck a few bits from it and love it! I hope you'll check it out too. It just came out yesterday and is already the #1 homeschooling book on Amazon! (OMG - Maybe Wild Thing and I will be famous!) 

It's your turn. What are you reading? Do you have a favorite Karma Wilson book? Please share and check out all of the other great activities and Karma Wilson books shared through the Virtual Book Club for Kids! 

Psst...I also shared this at the Kid Lit Blog Hop


  1. Thanks so much for featuring my book, Jen! You and Wild Thing deserve to be famous ... perfect models for my book cover. :)

  2. Oh, we are huge Karma Wilson fans, Bear Snores On is just enchanting, we love it so much my daughter refuses other bear looking books. Thanks so much for joining us on the Kid Lit blog Hop. We have to get this next one too.

  3. We've loved Montessori values at our house, too! And Karma Wilson's "Bear Snores On" is on our local "100 Picture Books Everyone Should Read" poster - that's how my oldest and I discovered her. Now we've read several more of the bear books. (stopping by on the kid lit blog hop.)

  4. Omigosh!! Look at you two on the front cover! That's awesome! Your book recommendation (Animal Strike at the Zoo) looks adorable. Thanks for sharing your post in the Kid Lit Blog Hop!