Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Letter Learning Through Sensory Play: Letters A-N and Letter P!

Tot School Letter of the Week focused learning worked really well for me this Fall when Wild Thing (4) went to preschool, and Caterpillar (2) felt a little left out. 

Initially, I had a new letter activity basket ready for Caterpillar each morning, and to help me organize and create activities, each day focused on one of the fives senses. 

Very quickly, I adjusted the activity baskets and sensory experiences to work for both my toddler and my preschooler because Wild Thing really wanted to be included in our learning activities too. 

Quick note: we focus on all of the letters all of the time, but the emphasis on one letter each week helped me structure and plan activities. It also helped Wild Thing with his reading and spelling as we focused a lot on beginning letter sounds and identifying words. With Caterpillar, I focus on identifying both upper and lower case letters - not only for the letter for that week, but for other letters he might be seeing a lot too, like p when we did A is for Apple. 

I'm way behind with blog sharing of our learning activities, but am hoping to get back on track with it soon. In the meantime, at the request of some fellow mamas, I've put A-K and P all together in one place, and am sharing a bit about what we've done for L-N too. 


Click on the bold titles for each letter (A-K) to be taken to a blog post with activity details.















K was a little bit of a "cheat week" 

Letter L: Leaves (Sight, Sound and Touch), Lettuce (Taste), 
Lemon and Limes (Taste and Smell)




I haven't blogged about the Letter L yet,
but am sharing these photos from our leaf learning activities.

Letter M: Moon, Melons, Mums, Magnets, Moose and Mouse


I haven't blogged M either, but these photos give a sneak peek!

Letter N: Nests, Nets, Noises, Nuts, and Noses 
(Coming soon to the blog) 

Hopefully, I'll be sharing full posts about L, M and N soon. We've done P already because we skipped ahead and did P when we had pumpkins for Halloween and Thanksgiving. As you can see, learning is fun! I also have a Tot School Pinboard with more great learning and play ideas for toddlers and preschoolers. You might also want to check out All Done Monkey's 31 Days of ABCs, which several talented bloggers participated in and which features tons of ways to play your way through the alphabet. 

Happy Learning Through Play! 

Sharing this post at: Montessori Monday, Tuesday Tots, Artsy Play WednesdayMom's Library, and The Weekly Kid's Co-Op.

You might also like:
More Apple-Inspired Play!
4 Activities Inspired
by Brown Bear,Brown Bear,
What Do You See?
7 Preschool Math Activities




2 comments:

  1. Wow what a wonderful & comprehensive collection. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a comprehensive idea we do sensory play with my 8 month old. When do you start introducing the connection like this?

    ReplyDelete