Sunday, March 30, 2014

Meal Planning Made Easy: What We're Eating This Week (AKA Transforming Leftovers)


This week's meals are inspired by a use it or lose it attitude. I selected them based on what we already have, so that I can limit purchases this week - saving money and reducing food waste, which is really important to me. Check out my Meal Planning Pinboard for all of the recipes here and much more!

Sunday Brunch: Gluten-Free Sausage Mushroom Quiche or Breakfast Tacos (w/scrambled eggs, sausage, mushrooms and sauteed greens) and Cinnamon Swirl French Toast (for the boys!) 

We have some sausage and mushrooms already cooked up from a pizza I made last week, so repurposing them for a yummy breakfast seemed perfect. (Confession: my husband already made breakfast tacos with the sausage and mushrooms for himself on Friday night, so we'll be going with the French Toast and scrambled eggs this morning).

Since we're having brunch, we'll probably do some grazing and snacking during the day rather than lunch and then it's leftovers for dinner -- I'll just dig into the fridge and see what we've got left from meals last week and that will be that!

Monday - I never liked oatmeal until I tried overnight oats. Not only is it a healthy breakfast that I truly like, but it's also SO EASY and perfect for busy mornings because you prep everything the night before and it is ready to go in the morning. 

For dinner - Quesadillas and Taco Soup inspired by the tortillas, corn, black beans we already have. Bonus: The Taco Soup can be made in the crockpot! 

Tuesday - Seems like a good day for breakfast for lunch with scrambled eggs and toast. For dinner, Honey Wings and roasted veggies are perfect -- I can cook it all in one tray! 

Wednesday - For breakfast, we're going with Egg Muffins from Conveying Awareness, and dinner is inspired by the cucumbers I happened to have, so we're going Greek: Greek Salad and Kebabs! 

Thursday - I'm excited to start the day off with pancakes (we skip the syrup at our house and the boys don't even miss it). I'm also planning a lunch family outing surprise. I haven't decided yet if it will be a picnic lunch or if we'll go to one of our favorite pizza places.

For dinner, an easy favorite for us with grilled turkey burgers topped with swiss cheese and sauteed mushrooms with oven fries (from potatoes and carrots). 

Friday - Friday morning is our coffee shop morning with the boys, so we often share a bagel at the coffee shop and Friday dinner is Daddy's pick! 

I know I skipped sharing lunch on most days. To be honest, we pretty much graze throughout the day after Wild Thing gets home from preschool, and I often end up making myself a veggie smoothie for myself when the boys nap. 

Our typical snack/lunch grazing items include: Carrots, Apples, Grapes, Oranges, Peanut Butter Sandwiches, Cereal, Popcorn (made from organic kernels in the microwave - details for making it can be found in our P Letter of the Week post), Yogurt (typically plain yogurt with local honey), and (occasionally) Organic Corn Chips with Salsa, Homemade Muffins (usually carrot muffins or zucchini muffins) or No-Bake Oat "Cookies."

You might also like: 
Letter I for Ice Cream!
Kids in the Kitchen - Easter!
Breakfast Matters
Eating Well on a Budget

No comments:

Post a Comment