Thursday, April 10, 2014

Celebrating National Sibling Day with Sibling Play!

20 Simple Sibling Play Ideas for Young Children

After my popular monthly Baby Play Series came to an end (because my "baby" was no longer a baby), I decided to replace it with a monthly Sibling Play Series. Even though I didn't stick to my monthly goal very well, successful sibling play is very important to our household. So, I'm excited to highlight sibling play ideas and activities from my blog as well as some great posts from of my other favorite bloggers: 

Babies and Older Siblings:

Tummy Time featuring Baby and Big Brother from Mama Smiles 

Baby School and Bubbles featuring Mama Smiles (as well as some tips on Toddler Hitting from Taming the Goblin) 

Reflections - Mirror/Window Play from Mama Smiles

Talk Time - Infant Babble with an Older Sibling from Still Playing School

Sensory Play for Siblings:

Earth Day Sensory Bin - One of our favorite Nature Sensory Bins with extended play activities. 

Water and Nature Play - A wonderful way for siblings to play when the weather is warm. 

Green "Grass" Sensory Bin with educational learning extension activities. 

Jell-O - A sensory exploration inspired by the Letter J

Collaborative and Side-by-Side Art Projects for Toddlers and Preschoolers:

"Quilting" - Fabric scraps, cardboard and glue are all you need for this fun art activity. 

Sticky Paper Art - This activity is great for babies, as well as toddlers and preschoolers. 

Large Paper Painting - Tape some paper to a large piece of cardboard, put it on the ground outside and let the fun begin! 

More Fun Sibling Play Ideas:

Siblings in the Kitchen - My boys love to bake together and to help me out in the kitchen. If yours do too, consider having them work together and host a Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry! They'll have fun and will be able to help other children struggling with hunger. 

Music Time - My boys love playing music together and dancing together. 

Rainbow-Inspired Play - I love rainbow play with my boys because it also serves as a collaborative learning experience as they explore colors. 

On the Value of Sibling Play:

My boys also love: doing yoga together and outdoor play (most often in the "mud kitchen," at the train table, in the sandbox, riding their scooters, or playing tag). 

What activities do your children love doing together? How do you encourage positive sibling relationships? I'd love for you to share. If you've got a post focused on sibling play or playdates, leave the link so that I can pin it to my Siblings, Playdates Pinboard

No comments:

Post a Comment