Sunday, May 25, 2014

Meal Plan Inspiration: Top Recipe Picks

For this week's Meal Planning Post, I'm highlighting some of our favorite recipes to get you inspired to get in the kitchen and eat at home this week. We save so much money and enjoy more quality family time by focusing on dinner at home. We hope you enjoy checking out our favorite recipes as much as we enjoy eating them! 


We'll start with breakfast, of course. My carb-craving boys love French Toast and pancakes, and we like to make it fun...

We'll sometimes integrate a Pancake Topper Taste Test into the mix (which is also a great idea when you're doing breakfast for dinner), and we LOVE to make French Toast. The boys are great at helping, and we often integrate one of our newest favorite books into the mix, The Cow in Patrick O'Shanahan's Kitchen. Our favorite French Toast recipe and 3 other breakfasts we love are here

As for me, I love frittatas and this Swiss Chard Frittata from Kalyn's Kitchen is one of my favorites. I often make it on Sunday and then have it on hand to re-heat for quick breakfast or lunch for me all week. 

Lunch and/or Snack Time

We're not traditional "lunch" eaters at our house, but go more the route of grazing through the day. I draw lots of inspiration from Conveying Awareness with Jessica David, who is a major grazing advocate. I absolutely love her grazing trays. We also love to use lunch and/or snack time as an opportunity to extend learning and play experiences. 

I taught Wild Thing how to play checkers using Goldfish recently and plan to do this again soon using cucumber circle slices and carrots circle slices to make it healthier. Caterpillar loved our Apple Invitation to Taste, and we love using snack/lunch time as opportunities to cook together in the kitchen. 

These healthy "cookies" 3 Ingredient, No Bake Cookies are a top cooking together pick, and we also had fun making these Homemade Roasted Nuts from True Aim Education. Another fun snack/lunch the boys loved were our Chicka Chicka Boom Boom-Inspired goodies shared during our National Library Week Meal Plan full of snack and dinner ideas inspired by our favorite books.

For more lunch ideas, check out What to Have for Lunch: A Collection of Meal Ideas from the Kids Activities Blog.


Pizzas! -- Of course, at the top of the list of our favorite dinners is definitely pizza, but we make it ourselves which makes it healthier and much more fun. Here's our three favorite pizzas to make. Though, another pizza is gaining ground on these more traditional approaches. Last week's meal plan featured a Mexican Pizza inspired by this Good Housekeeping recipe. My husband and I love it! 

We also love Jamie Oliver's Proper Chicken Caesar Salad (though I confess that I use store-bought dressing).

Two more easy dinner favorites: Honey Garlic Chicken Drumsticks from Living Lou,which I make with roasted potatoes so that everything cooks on the same baking sheet (I featured this in my Weekly Meal Plans Made Easy post), and Proscuitto Wrapped Asparagus from Conveying Awareness with Jessica David (a fave of mine that pairs well with any of your favorite sides). 

Last, but definitely not least, is our latest new fave -- a vegetarian dinner idea that even my meat-loving husband enjoys: Portobello Mushroom Philly Cheese "Steak" Sandiches from A Hint of Honey. (Confession: the boys don't eat mushrooms, so they'll eat a cheese sandwich instead and whatever veggies we cooked up on the side).


I have to wrap everything up with with our top dessert choice -- Gigi's Carrot Cake, a recipe from Emeril Lagasse. This is our go-to birthday cake. It's so good that we don't even bother to make the frosting!

For even more Family Meal Ideas and to share YOUR favorites pop over to the Kids Activities Blog Family Meal Ideas Link-Up! What's for dinner at your house this week?

Sharing at: Good Tips TuesdayTuesday Tutorials and Mom's Library.

You might also like:
How (and Why) We Eat Local
Birds, Nests and Spring Play
Ice Cream Taste Test and More!


  1. Thanks for the shout-out; so glad you've been enjoying the Swiss Chard Frittata.

  2. Thanks for adding the tip about grazing and sharing the asparagus recipe from my blog! =) I pinned it to my Meal Planning board and will be sharing this as a resource on my #ctransc group. Be (stay) well!

  3. That is fab list you made! Thank you for linking it with us #Pintorial