Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Perfect Rainy Day Activity -- So Simple, So Awesome and Free! #BanBusy #SlowParenting

Observation in Action: Watch, Listen, Look and Learn


It doesn't rain often where we live (Southern California), but the last time we had a really substantial rain, I did something different. 

I sat in the doorway of our open back door (screen closed) with Caterpillar (2 1/2) sitting on my lap. We simply watched the rain and listened. We noticed its ebb and flow - stop and go - heavier and lighter. We noticed how different everything looks when it is wet. 

We were snuggled up under a blanket. It was actually pure bliss. I was glad I stopped to take the time to cuddle with him and focus on some astute observation with him. The experience was peaceful, beautiful, and important. 

Caterpillar and I had been at odds lately -- pushing and pulling -- as he tested his boundaries. He is 2 and was making sure we all knew it. We were going through some growing pains, and most of the time, I just didn't want to deal with him. 

Having this positive, sweet time together was actually really good for us -- 
we both really needed it. 


I also learned something about him. I discovered that he loves the rain. He would sit quietly for awhile, but then he would start talking and telling me that he loves the rain -- the way it sounds, especially. He told me that it makes him happy. Since, it rarely rains here, I hadn't realized that he loved it nor had a noticed before that his mood does shift, for the better, when it rains. 

I watched the pitter-patter calm him. I watched him intensely focus on the birds that were coming out to find worms as the rain calmed and became a drizzle. I watched him smile -- with me, rather than doing everything in his power to defy me. 

How simple, I found myself thinking -- 
simple and wonderful. 

So, next time the weather drives you inside and you wonder what you'll do to keep the kids from going crazy. Try simply sitting with them and watching the storm. If they like to sketch, paint or draw, then perhaps follow up your observations with some simple art time. You might find some simple joy of your own. 

We also love rainy day books. My boys love Franklin and the Thunderstorm, which is kind of funny since I don't think the boys have EVER experienced a real thunderstore. Still, they love this books. Plus, J Daniel4's Mom has a wonderful round-up featuring 17 Rainy Day Books for Kids! Check it out!!  I also love this post from KC Edventures featuring 10 Umbrella Stories -- also perfect for rainy days!

I'm pleased to be sharing this as part of the Ban Busy Challenge from the Abundant Mama Project, which I LOVE!!  

Sharing this at Booknificent Thursday

What's your favorite rainy day book and activities? Do your kids love the rain or do they just want it to stop? 

Here's some simple indoor play ideas that would also be great for rainy days:


Simple Toddler Carwash
Puzzle Play - 10 Benefits/Ideas
Library + Coffee Shop "Outing" at Home



Plus, my Blizzard Board is full of Creative, Indoor Play Ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I love the simplicity of this. Well done! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday! Always love having you there!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete