Thursday, September 18, 2014

Kids in the Kitchen with The Weekly Kid's Co-Op

Featuring Our Picture Book of the Day: Stone Soup

My boys loved reading Stone Soup by Jon J. Muth, and I loved the message of the book as it highlights the value of coming together as a community and of every person giving what they can. Each member of the village contributes to the soup pot and in the end the whole community has a feast. Through giving, everyone has more than they would have had on their own. It is a message I seek to instill in my children regularly and to live in my own life and professional work. 

The book also, of course, got the boys excited about making soup with me, so we made our own variety of "stone soup" using what we happened to have -- just as the villagers did in the book. We started with 3 "stones" (just as in the book). Our stones were garlic cloves.
Then we added onions, a must according to Wild Thing, because of the onions in the book, and then diced up some veggie Italian sausages we had. Wild Thing enjoyed adding ingredients to the pot, but mainly wanted to take photos of the soup-making process this time, rather than me taking photos of him. He did a great job with the photos. 

Caterpillar (3) helped me add in some chicken broth, broccoli and snow peas (again things we just happened to have) and some salt and pepper. Wild Thing didn't capture any pictures of Caterpillar helping as Caterpillar is very camera shy these days, so we mainly got shots of him making a run for it -- away from the camera...Basically, Caterpillar would add ingredients then make a break for it as Wild Thing helped stir the soup and then take photos. 

Ultimately, the stone soup turned out really well. My husband and I both really liked it. The boys are still not sold on soup -- the hot liquid part (even after it cools) is just odd to them, so they mainly ate some of the broccoli and sausage that I pulled out of the soup. 

Still, it's important for me to have the boys help me cook and to learn about different foods, and this "recipe" was particularly fun as it encouraged them to see how you can create a meal with what you already have with just a little bit of creativity. Here's some other fun kids in the kitchen activities from The Weekly Kid's Co-Op:


  1. What a great activity! I love this folk tale, and I need to look for this version!

  2. I love the idea of Garlic Cloves for the stones!!! Brilliant!!!