Monday, September 8, 2014

Meal Planning Monday -- A Few of Our Favorite, Simple Recipes from this Summer Inspiring What We're Eating This Week

What's for dinner? Here's a daily play-by-play...


Monday: Green Bean Salad, Brown Rice and Grilled Chicken. (Tip: Grill up some extra chicken to have for another meal during the week). 
I have the best helper ever when it comes to green beans!

So simple: blanched green beans, diced tomatoes, feta or goat cheese crumbles, olive oil and any herbs you happened to have. The boys, of course, eat just a few green beans and tomatoes without anything and lots of rice and chicken.

Taco Tuesday: Simple Taco Soup! 



My Taco Soup is similar to the 8 Can Taco Soup recipe shared on High Hells and Grills, which my mom made a version of all the time growing up. I like to make it in the summer because I love using fresh garden tomatoes (rather than a can of tomatoes) and fresh summer corn -- yum, yum! In this version, I used soy chorizo instead of canned chicken, which I never use in mine as I'm just not a fan. I also throw in my own spices instead of a taco seasoning packet, and I love topping the soup with avocado, shredded cheese and plain yogurt. The boys aren't into soup yet, so I usually (again) give them key ingredients that I put in the soup but not all mixed together and make cornbread on the side. (We love Bob's Red Mill Corn Muffin Mix). 

Wednesday: Togo's Take-Out for Mommy's Birthday!! We rarely get take-out or eat out, but this is a special treat for Hunger Action Month as we support Dine Out for No Kid Hungry! 



Thursday: Chicken Caesar Salad. 

I like to keep it simple, especially with the adjustments to back to school, so this recipe is easy -- just toss left over grilled chicken from Monday night with shredded or chopped romaine, your favorite caesar dressing and some shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese. Croutons are optional. For the boys, I keep it simple and deconstructed -- grilled chicken, a small piece of lettuce or two, some yogurt dip and some bread. If we have any bacon on hand, we crumble that into the salad too. (I usually make extra bacon to use on another night, especially as we love eating breakfast for dinner).

Friday: Breakfast for Dinner -- Corn Muffin Pancakes. 



We love experimenting with different pancake recipes, and corn muffin mix pancakes are lots of fun -- and delicious with honey on top. And, we always love having fresh summer fruit on the side with any dinner, but especially when we have breakfast for dinner. I didn't get any photos to share -- but the big summer fruits at our house were watermelon and nectarines. Yummy! What are the favorite summer fruits are your house? 

Bonus Share: Mommy's Summer Treat -- Simple Summer White Sangria. 


I make mine with White Peaches and/or Nectarines, Blueberries and Moscato. I pour it all together and put it in the fridge for awhile and then I enjoy! 

For more meal planning ideas, check out my Meal Planning Pinterest Board -- and I'm excited to move fully into Fall recipes next week as I share our favorite soups and best tips/recipes for root vegetables and Fall squash. I'm a huge fan of seasonal eating because it saves us money, integrates a variety of fruits and vegetables into our diet and allows us to support local farmers...win, win, win. 

You might also like:
Moms Fighting Hunger Blog Hop
Apple Taste Test And More!
Children's Books + Hunger

No comments:

Post a Comment