Thursday, October 2, 2014

Poetry Activities for Kids: Inspiration from The Weekly Kid's Co-Op

P is for Poetry: Celebrating National Poetry Day with Kids

My boys love poems, even though they don't know it. We play lots of rhyming games and love singing songs, many of which are also poems. Many children's books we enjoy are actually poems or have poetic elements: rhyming stanzas and recurring phrases that feel like poems within the story. In honor of National Poetry Day, October 2nd, I'm sharing some activities from The Weekly Kid's Co-Op that explore and celebrate poetry as well as some of my other favorite poetry activities for kids from the blogosphere. 

We're Going On A Bear Hunt is both a book and poem and children love it. Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails shared Paper Bag Bear Puppets to go along with the poem/book and Buggy and Buddy shared a fun Bear Hunt Map Activity

Another popular children's book we love that is quite poetic is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. Joyfully Weary shared several fun activities for this book, and we had lots of fun sharing some Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activities over at Capri+3.

My other poetic favorite from The Weekly Kid's Co-Op was from Homeschool With Love who shared three poems her daughter recently wrote.

Two of my favorite poetry books for kids are A Stick is An Excellent Thing: Poems Celebrating Outdoor Play (perfect for Fall or Spring) by Marilyn Singer, which I shared as part of my Weekly Library Challenge last year, and City I Love, a book of poems by Lee Bennet Hopkins, which I shared for Multicultural Children's Book Day this past January.

Reading poems and singing songs are great ways to introduce children to poetry and to inspire them to try writing their own poems. You could get the ball rolling with this creative Spine Poetry Activity for Kids from What Do We Do All Day or try out a Sensory Poem like Planet Smarty Pants -- I love both of these activities. For more tips on Teaching Poetry at Home, also check out this post from Pragmatic Mom

Have you done poetry activities with your kids? Do you have a favorite book of poems for children? Please share. I'd love to add them to our collection. Sharing this at In and Out of the Kitchen Linky.


  1. I love that Going on a Bear Hunt map. There are so many good poetry books for kids now! It makes me happy.

  2. Wow, what a great list and so diverse in its offerings. I'd like to add a favorite of mine, Caroline Kennedy's Poems to Learn by Heart. A wonderful collection poems children can relate to and each page is enhanced by Jon Muth's superb watercolor illustrations.